Anyone have experience with Ultimate Bunk Boards or Snaptraxx?

ghostrider8ghostrider8 Posts: 154 Officer
Getting ready to replace my bunk boards and wanted to look at options other than carpet.

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,342 Moderator
    I had the plastic covers style that fit over the boards on the front half of my cat trailer. slicker than carpet so be careful when launching and trailering the boat. It will slide faster and with less force than what your use to.
    They held up well on my trailer and I would use then again.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • SEARUNNERSEARUNNER Posts: 285 Deckhand
    We learned the hard way about the SnapTrax years ago. My buddy had purchased a '79 Ski Nautique and we went to dip it in the water the day he bought it. He threw me the rope to hold on to it, unhooked the boat and started to back the boat down and that darn boat flew off the trailer and landed on the concrete. So if you have these on your trailer a word to the wise is to ensure trailer is in water before unhooking boat....
  • cookin outcookin out Posts: 232 Deckhand
    Be very carefull of these plastic bunk covers....I bought some a few years back that were not smooth but had a ribbed pattern. One long trip 350 miles and the simple vibration of the road/trailer rubbed grooves in my gelcoat....I would have never known it had I not been in the bahamas in crystal clear water and snorkeling around the boat......carpet is the way to go for sure
  • Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Officer
    I replaced just my forward bunks with the ultimate bunk boards. Makes the boat (20' Pangamarine Super Skiff) very easy to load and unload. I'm glad I didn't replace the rear boards (carpeted, a little stickier). The skiff doesn't have to be touching the water in order to launch, slides right off the trailer with a little more than a gentle shove. NEVER ... NEVER ... EVER unhook the winch from the boat until you are absolutely, positively over deep enough water to launch and you are fully prepared to put it in the water, I don't care what kind of bunks or rollers you have. Keep a bow line on it, because your boat will shoot out there. First time I wasn't prepared and I was jumping up on the seawall with the line (which knotted up) in my hand and my skiff pulled me off balance with minor injuries, I'm more cautious now. The ultimate bunks that I put on look like smooth plastic 2x6's about 6' long, no ribs. I'm very pleased with how they perform and support my skiff.
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • ghostrider8ghostrider8 Posts: 154 Officer
    Captain,

Thanks for the info. Do the ultimate bunk boards ever scratch the hull?
    I've not seen any scratches in over two years of use.
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,737 Captain
    wonder why one coudn't use the pvc board, sold at HD ???
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
    Might be able to if they are available in a 2 x (4,6) nominal size. However, the PVC sizes I'm accustomed to working with are rather soft and "bendy" and may not support a hull properly, whereas the ultimate bunk boards are as stiff and sturdy as the 2 x 6's they replaced.
    Captain Mike Brennan