Home Conservation Front

Just so you know.....DOn's Dock (and others) sucessfully sued

CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
Last summer I mentioned about a lawsuit brought by several commercial interest against NMFS and basically throwing the recreational anglers under the bus...

The new Owners of Don's Dock were a party to that suit....

Yesterday a federal judge sided with the commercial interest, whose impact on us is yet to be seen...
My gut feeling is that Crabtree will basically just shut down red snapper fishing altogether...or worse

As for me...I am tired...
I am tired of going onto various boards...watching the same screen names fighting it out...
Tired of the 1000's of hours I pour over catch data knowing it is bad and getting no where, little support and no pay...
I am tired of not hearing the groups that are supposed to represent us, coming as loudly and strongly as the newly EDF funded groups like Share the Gulf, the Gulf Seafood Institute and the like...

We are a formidable force of resource and voices, yet we are mute...we are flaccid in our turn out at meetings and telling congress what we need.

Heck I don't even fish offshore, yet I am at most meetings and constantly in contact with NMFS and the council and participating as an advisory panel member of 2 advisory panels...

Time for me to just shut up and fish....the Tarpon, reds, snook and inshore grouper are waiting....there also some kings on the beach...

After 20 plus years of fighting this fight....I am tired and not seeing much in the way of results or increases advocacy from the folks that are affected the most.....

Change is coming to an offshore reef neat you...
You can expect to see sector separation and recreational catch shares (tags) very soon in the federal fisheries....
Our inability to rally a sustained fight with a consistent message has been our undoing..
Our inability to unite and force those groups who are suppose to represent us to unit has failed.....

We have met the enemy and he is us.
National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes

Replies

• Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain
    Last summer I mentioned about a lawsuit brought by several commercial interest against NMFS and basically throwing the recreational anglers under the bus...

The new Owners of Don's Dock were a party to that suit....

Yesterday a federal judge sided with the commercial interest, whose impact on us is yet to be seen...
    My gut feeling is that Crabtree will basically just shut down red snapper fishing altogether...or worse

As for me...I am tired...
    I am tired of going onto various boards...watching the same screen names fighting it out...
    Tired of the 1000's of hours I pour over catch data knowing it is bad and getting no where, little support and no pay...
    I am tired of not hearing the groups that are supposed to represent us, coming as loudly and strongly as the newly EDF funded groups like Share the Gulf, the Gulf Seafood Institute and the like...

We are a formidable force of resource and voices, yet we are mute...we are flaccid in our turn out at meetings and telling congress what we need.

Heck I don't even fish offshore, yet I am at most meetings and constantly in contact with NMFS and the council and participating as an advisory panel member of 2 advisory panels...

Time for me to just shut up and fish....the Tarpon, reds, snook and inshore grouper are waiting....there also some kings on the beach...

After 20 plus years of fighting this fight....I am tired and not seeing much in the way of results or increases advocacy from the folks that are affected the most.....

Change is coming to an offshore reef neat you...
    You can expect to see sector separation and recreational catch shares (tags) very soon in the federal fisheries....
    Our inability to rally a sustained fight with a consistent message has been our undoing..
    Our inability to unite and force those groups who are suppose to represent us to unit has failed.....

We have met the enemy and he is us.

I once heard someone say if you’re going to do a crime you need to do it from the jury box out,

In other words looks at the big picture and consider all the possibilities. I would first look at what we want the end result of our efforts to look like. What exactly are we trying to achieve? “A stronger healthier fishery” “allocation that are fair and equitable” “less fishing pressure and fish mortality rate from the commercial sector” or some combination of the above.

Once the goals are clearly defined we must then apply the jury box out scenario. Starting at the top with a grassroots effort to change the mind of the decision makers or “change” the decision makers. Forget about data collection methods and all the other BS that is mostly ignored anyway. You can say what you want, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but they are not entitled to their own facts.

It’s all about the money! Unfortunately most political decisions are based more on how it will keep someone in office or, benefit them monetarily. If it was up to me lobbying would be illegal but it’s not. It’s their game and their rules so we have to play along.
    So with that being said, you want change then start at the top.

Pull the entire recreational/family fisherman together and pool the resources of everyone that has an interest and start lobbying congress. Let’s work on finding out who supports our interest and supports them while voting out the opposition and replace them with like minded people that will do what's right for the good of the people not fatten their wallets.
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
  • FS Karl SnapperFS Karl Snapper Posts: 285 Officer
    Don't give up, Bob, good men like you are really needed, though I understand exactly what you mean. It's up hill. But viewed in the long run, we've made some important progress along the way. Hang tough.