Garmin 498 - upgrade 'ducer or get a new unit?

MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 617 Officer
hey everyone, just looking for some advice here...

I have a Garmin 498 on my boat, with the standard transom mount 'ducer. I get horrible quality from it. I'm lucky to find bottom, it loses its lock all the time if I'm moving. Finding fish on it is really non existent, it's just full of noise on either 200khz or 50khz. I've been told I probably just need to upgrade the transducer to a good thru hull ducer, but I know nothing about them.

So I don't want to spend more than about $600. I've been looking at the Lowrance HDI's and am debating on spending $$ on a better transducer or just replacing the whole unit.

Here is what I want:
-Reads well in 0-1000 or so Feet. I fish offshore, regularly over 200ft.
-Can see fish and bait. Right now I can't see either
-Can see bottom structure, and density (mud vs rock or coral)

the Downscan imaging is cool but I really don't think i need it if I can see structure and fish in better detail.

Any suggestions? Anybody had a 498 and been able to make it read well?
Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
www.makologic.com
[email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...

Replies

• SeaPro220SeaPro220 Posts: 111 Officer
    Did it ever work right? You may just have the transducer mounted too high or too low.
    SeaPro 220 w/ 200 Verado
    Second Wind
    Manatee Marina
  • MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 617 Officer
    the first one i had on there performed similarly, but I replaced it when the wire was worn through where it came out of the hull and it was shorting. Since replacing, I can usually see bottom, but there is tons of noise, and I lose bottom when running quite often. It's mounted well port of the motor bracket, sits maybe 1-2" underwater. When I'm on step, it looks to me like its deep enough to be below the bubbles. But it has all the noise even when I'm not moving. Seems like it's where it should be from everything I read.
    Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
  • SeaPro220SeaPro220 Posts: 111 Officer
    You may want to send it back to Garmin. Before buying a new transducer. It may be something inside the 498.
    SeaPro 220 w/ 200 Verado
    Second Wind
    Manatee Marina
  • BacDocBacDoc Posts: 704 Officer
    If it's a single engine try mounting on the starboard side. That should be the down side of the prop wash and less turbulent on most single engines. If that does nothing than I would do what SeaPro says - send it to Garmin.
    I just bit the bullet and bought a new Garmin 70dv and installed it. The 498 was getting dated and the new ones just have so many new features I used it as an excuse to upgrade. My old one was mounted way out near the edge, this one I mounted closer to the motor bracket. I'll test it this weekend and see what happens. I have the units mounted side by side now so it should be a pretty good comparison. I plan to post results once I play with it for a while. Thanks for the responses though. I may try to get the other one working properly as a backup anyway.
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
    thanks for the tip on the starboard side, I didn't know there was a difference. Do you think it will affect it much since the motor is on an offshore bracket and a few feet behind the transom? If I get static I'll definitely try the other side.
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...
    Mako, with the bracket it may not make a difference but I'm planning on replacing my old unit and I've been reading/watching install videos and the starboard transom mount/single was brought up several times.

I was torn between the 740 which is being blown out by west marine and the 70dv. Ended up ordering the 70dv due to faster gps and better bottom reading, as well as touch/pinch zoom worth the extra $.

Be advised the 70dv is a stand alone unit that will not take Sat weather or other interface(see the software geek in your signature) components. Also the bottom line display for hard bottom/mud is not on the spec list. Transducer must be compatable! The 70dv is 77/200 and most dual frequency is 50/200. Reviews on the WM site list transducer compatability as poor. Mapping options are better with the 740 but I don't do much with that.

Read the spec sheet before you install so you know if this is the right unit for your fishing. I'm mostly fishing in 50'-120' and think that is the good range for the 70dv, max depth on spec is 1100'. If I were fishing 500' and deeper I would look for a different unit.

Good luck!
    Looking at specs again (for the hundreth time!) I didn't see the bottom line indicator missing on the 70dv, may have been the 70s. One of them does not display hard/soft bottom line. Also saw something about 700' being max depth but just checked and it says 1100'. Just be sure to get the right one as the 70dv and 70s come in several variations that are kind of confusing (to me anyway).
    Thanks I didn't know about the difference with the bottom line indicator. I really hope this unit has that .I already installed it but haven't had it on the water yet to test. I did make the mistake of getting the unit that was preloaded with the lakes maps instead of Coastal. I missed that little detail while I was in the store. I had to order the coastal blue chart G2 chip which was another hundred bucks from Amazon. Without the Chip, the unit has no contours or obstructions marked off shore. I will let you know how it all works out when I get it on the water this weekend.
    www.makologic.com
    [email protected]

Formerly TxToFl...