Home General Fishing

Penn torque spinning V Shimano stella

minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
What do you think is better a Penn Torque or a Shimano Stella even though the penn is half the price

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    IMO the Penn Torque is a much better value (& it's definitely a tougher/more durable reel)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • tdk72tdk72 Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Find a 1 year old Stella in great condition for less than the torque. The older Stella's are better than the new ones. Imo.
  • WatermanWaterman Posts: 130 Officer
    The Torque is Lighter, Has More Drag (by Far!) and picks up line faster! I would reatrer buy Two Torque reels than one Stella.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,403 Captain
    The torque is the best reel I've ever owned. I swim with it, and target fish over 70" on foot with it, and it's the first reel I've owned to make it through 2 seasons without factory service. Easily the most underrated reel on the market. Miss Stella just isn't the kind of girl you take swimming, you have to consider what kind of reel you need before comparing the two.
  • CoydogCoydog Posts: 418 Deckhand
    Agree with Ol'DirtyCaster

Another thing to consider, especially when buying very expensive reels, is parts availability. Shimano is notorious for this aspect. Doesn't mean they make crappy reels. I got a Symetre I love but I only dropped about $100 on it. If I'm gonna drop a few hundred, want to make sure I got parts available for it.
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Never had a Stella, but own 2 torques and love em!
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Three Torques here - a 5, a 7, and a 9. Those reels are as bazooka-proof as anything on the market.
  • Prop BlastProp Blast Posts: 375 Officer
    What are you going to use the reel for?

The newest version of the Stella has some "issues". For more info, go to www.alanhawk.com When Alan reviews a reel, companies listen. He rates both the Dawia Isla and Penn Torque as better reels than the CURRENT version of the Stella. Now if you get deal on a slightly used silver & gold Stella; that would be something to consider. Just remember, full factory support for Shimano reels stops 5 years after it's replacement is released.

You need to decided based on what YOUR requirements are.

PB
  • BigTimeBigTime Posts: 611 Officer
    Are you looking to purchase a reel or just asking a question? I would offer you a few good deals but after seeing you post in multiple forum member posts offering them less then 50% of asking price I am not sure if you are serious or just a post count building contributor. No offense, the facts are the facts. I don't see how you are going to spend 500-800 bucks on a reel when:

You are offering a fellow forum member 50 dollars shipped for Ally Rods when he is asking 112.00 each.
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?147327-FS-2-PENN-ALLY-50-100-STAND-UP-RODS

Or offering 25 dollars to a guy asking 200 bucks for a fishing lure lot.
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?142165-Offshore-Fishing-Tackle-Selling-entire-lot-200-%28Naples%29&p=1879692#post1879692

Or 20 bucks for a 45 dollar net.
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?146401-Rubber-Landing-Nets-Tangle-and-Hook-Free-Telescoping-Handle

Again, not trying to start something. Just laying out the facts. If you are serious let me know and I can help you out. Please don't waste my time. Thanks.

• Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    minowjoe wrote: »
    What do you think is better a Penn Torque or a Shimano Stella even though the penn is half the price

I like both reels but I don't like either of them for the same application. Too me, they are different animals. Especially if you are talking Torque vs Stella SW vs Stella SWB.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
    not looking to purchase just looking at opinions
  • BigTimeBigTime Posts: 611 Officer
    minowjoe wrote: »
    not looking to purchase just looking at opinions

Good deal. Let me know when you have decided and I will hook you up. Best of luck to you and tight lines.

• fishing-guyfishing-guy Posts: 543 Officer
    I fish with Shimano reel many years , I like them , but the coast to maintain is expansive, and I have some Penn and I d ont have to mutch problem, with them ,and the drag is good
    The one frequently-heard complaint regarding the Torque is that it's stiffer and harder to crank than the Stella or many other spinning reels. The reason for this is the complete sealing of the main shaft and rotor. If these two seals are removed - which takes about five minutes and doesn't create a problem unless one is dunking the reel - it makes an incredible difference in the Torque's "smoothness."
  • TailHunterTailHunter Posts: 333 Deckhand
    The torque is the best reel I've ever owned. I swim with it, and target fish over 70" on foot with it, and it's the first reel I've owned to make it through 2 seasons without factory service. Easily the most underrated reel on the market. Miss Stella just isn't the kind of girl you take swimming, you have to consider what kind of reel you need before comparing the two.

I found my stella while lobstering, I took it to a shop to have it checked out and it didn't need anything other than lube, so swimming with it is not a problem
    - Travis

Shut Up and Fish

"Common sense isn't as common as commonly thought." Me
    "The unprepared man goes into the game prepared to lose." Me
    Yeah, you can save that jive for someone who doesn't own a Stella 5000SW. 3 trips to the service center in less than a year and it was never dunked.
  • SergeSerge Posts: 74 Deckhand
    Anything can be broken..

Mostly happens when the reels are used for a type of fishing they were not intended for or if used as a winch.
  • BlueBlue Posts: 132 Officer
    I've been looking at both and pretty much settled on the Torque for it's drag and retrieve alone over the Stella. Using it for vertical jigging in 150ish feet of water .....

Anyone know of the best deals out there on them?
    Scarab Sport 302

boattt_zps16b48845.jpg
    You can try eBay; there are several dealers who offer Torques at around $150. off MSRP. If you go this way, be certain that 1) the seller is an authorized Penn dealer so the warranty will apply, and 2) you get the latest model Torque (especially if you're buying a Torque 9). The latest models have a washer under the spool rather than a pin running through the main shaft; they also have an updated bail arm that doesn't flex. They can be shimmed to alter the line lay pattern on the spool, while the reels with pins cannot.
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain
    Stella’s has always been a great reel but over priced in my opinion,

I have one that I bought used from a friend, it’s a great reel but I wouldn’t buy a new one. Penn really stepped it up in the last couple of years. Back when I was a kid learning how to fish Penn’s were the reels everyone wanted, then they fell off and really didn’t do much.

I think they were resting on their laurels and had such a big slice of the conventional market with the internationals that they didn’t pay much attention to the spinning real side. They have really come back full circle. I haven’t bought a torque yet but I just bought 4 battle’s and I really like them. You can't beat then for the money.
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
    If you somehow manage to find an older model, they'll ship you the parts required for the upgrade free of charge. Takes 10 minutes to swap out the old shaft and install the plate under the drag stack.
  • TailHunterTailHunter Posts: 333 Deckhand
    Yeah, you can save that jive for someone who doesn't own a Stella 5000SW. 3 trips to the service center in less than a year and it was never dunked.

You can call it jive all you want, but my stella 8000 is one of my favorite reels for big fish (grouper snapper tarpon and snook). I would have never paid the money shimano wants for one. I honestly didn't think it was going to be serviceable after being submerged for who knows how long, but it works great.
    - Travis

Shut Up and Fish

"Common sense isn't as common as commonly thought." Me
    "The unprepared man goes into the game prepared to lose." Me