Shopping a jon boat, family

We just sold our 24 bayboat, going smaller. As I understand jon boats are a way of life for your inshore fishing. I wish to fish lakes rivers backwater, scallop. I realize I will not be crossing large bodies of water, I plan to fish closer to my ramps. SeaArk 1860 is on top of my list. I will be fishing 80% 2/3 poeple, 20% 4 adults. What advice would you give me? I will probably visit a few boat dealers while visiting, Weeki Wachee. Though, I am big on buying my boats used. Thanks Tomm
Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
Live in Lakeland

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,967 Moderator
    That would do it. Good draft , economical and easy launching.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • FishesmanFishesman Posts: 417 Deckhand
    You can't go wrong with Seaark. I've owned several and they are tough, well-built boats. I have experience with the 1860, 1872, and 2072. The 2072 was my favorite, but it may be a bit more boat than you're looking for. An 1872 has quite a bit more room than an 1860 and would be be my choice in an 18' boat. I'd recommend the tunnel hull version with sponsons and a 90hp motor. This set-up will run in way less than a foot of water and you'll probably be surprised at how well it handles chop when you have to cross a rough bay.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,683 Captain
    If you're going to be taking the family in it I would definetly get one that has a Mod-V hull or you will beat the crap out of them in a slight chop. My duck boat is a Grizzly 1652 and I love it, from running mud flats to 2'-3' waves it does great.
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • APEAPE Posts: 973 Officer
    Fishesman wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with Seaark. I've owned several and they are tough, well-built boats. I have experience with the 1860, 1872, and 2072. The 2072 was my favorite, but it may be a bit more boat than you're looking for. An 1872 has quite a bit more room than an 1860 and would be be my choice in an 18' boat. I'd recommend the tunnel hull version with sponsons and a 90hp motor. This set-up will run in way less than a foot of water and you'll probably be surprised at how well it handles chop when you have to cross a rough bay.

I agree with the above statement but I will add that if you are going to have family ie. kids and wife the more room you have the better off everyone will be, the wider CC like the 1872 or the 2072 would be my first choices, and SeaArk and Duracraft have older used boats that are in that size range, the 20 footers are harder to come by used but they are out there. Good luck
  • fishonfishon Posts: 963 Officer
    Capt Louie, I have been in contact with Thomas, just not ready to pull the trigger, I am coming from a 24 bay boat, so I know size and mod V have there place? I am looking at a 1860 across the canal from where we are in Weeki Wachee. I truly beleive it or a 1872 will work for me, but the family may not appreciate the ride. Just looking for imput, may need to head for a flats boat or small Seapro.
    Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland
  • reedreed Posts: 322 Officer
    I am a fan of jon boats especially the SeaArk tunnels and Jet tunnels. BUT a Carolina Skiff might fit the bill as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]