Rod/reel combo for cobia/tarpon

I'm looking for some suggestions for spinning combos that would be good for cobes, tarpon, and maybe work in a pinch surf fishing. Shimano bait runner reels? What about Penn Battles in a 7K or 8K series? 8-8.5 ft rods. Needs to be something that can pitch a pinfish but still have some backbone to put a hurt on the fish instead of me. I don't know a ton about these bigger outfits. Budget is a little tight so let's try to keep it about $200 if possible. Thanks for the advice.:beer

Replies

• Sneaky SnookSneaky Snook Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I like the Penn Battles. I actually use the 8000 battle with a 6' ugly stick for grouper. Way less than $200. Had them for two years no problems, and lots of grouper.
  • FishWithChrisFishWithChris TallahasseePosts: 143 Deckhand
    The new OC Baitrunners are crap. Better off with a 6000 Battle and a Teramar... to keep it "about $200..."
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,052 Moderator
    Do you currently have a surf outfit or a rod suitable for surf fishing and how much surf fishing do you actually do ?
    Reason is , I had some surf type rods and used them for both applications. They were OK for surf fishing and worked for cobia and such but were too long for pitching baits and unwieldy in a boat.

A reel like a Penn SpinfisherV 5500 loaded with 30# braid on a 7 1/2' rod will do both. Watch garage sales and you will see "surf" sticks pretty often for sale. Get one if you don't already have one and swap the reel if you think the longer rod will help. JMO
    "You'll get your weather"
  • reddawgreddawg Posts: 141 Deckhand
    Capt. Louie, I do not own a surf rod nor do I want to get into that whole scene (12ft rod, able to cast a mile, etc) but would like to have something that would work better than my trout/redfish outfits. I have heard both good and bad things about the Penn Battles, corrosion being the biggest issue. I will do a little more digging and see what I find. A good used outfit is not out of the question. The 6000 series battle with the Teramar 8ft Med. Hvy might be a good rig.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,052 Moderator
    reddawg wrote: »
    Capt. Louie, I do not own a surf rod nor do I want to get into that whole scene (12ft rod, able to cast a mile, etc) but would like to have something that would work better than my trout/redfish outfits. The 6000 series battle with the Teramar 8ft Med. Hvy might be a good rig.

Basically what I was saying. After re-reading I see the "In a pinch" thing. I agree about casting a mile etc. Lots of time over on the East coast (I like surf fishing) you can cast over the fish. Distance is relative to surf conditions.

The 6000 battle with the Teramar would be an awesome utility outfit able to handle both situations.
    Look at a spinfisherV they are pretty nice and appear to be well built. I like mine so far.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • red010480red010480 Posts: 304 Deckhand
    I like the penn battle 8000 on a 7 ft custom ugly stick medium action. I have caught everything from pin fish to cobia to 50+ pound amber jack on this outfit, It is a beast and you can do it for less than $200.00
  • JC_UF_ITKJC_UF_ITK Posts: 490 Deckhand
    I have two Battle 6000 reels on Star rods that I use for the same purpose (cobia, sharks, etc). I've been happy with them so far.
  • me3260me3260 Posts: 102 Officer
    I will throw out another plug for the SpinfisherV. I have a 3500 that I throw for reds and it is a very heavy duty reel. Last year I was in the same situation as you, and didn't want to spend a fortune just for a shark rod set. I wound up getting a Penn Fierce 6000 combo off Amazon for around 70$. Had it loaded with 50 lb. Braid. We keep it rigged with about 7 ft 100lb Mono Leader and a short steel leader.

It has held up remarkable well considering the abuse we put it through targeting big sharks and rays when the trout bite was off during last summer.

The SpinfisherV is a bit heavier than the battle, but it has a stronger drag I believe. Very bullet proof I would say.

If I save up the money I plan on getting the Live Liner version but that would really push your budget at the moment.

As for size I personally would not want to go much bigger than a 6000 size. They really start getting crazy, and you don't really gain than much drag by going that big. 30lb drag vs 35 going from a 5000 up to a 8000.
  • hotrailshotrails Posts: 440 Deckhand
    Just saying I have found some decent Rods at Flea Market in Crystal River all for less than $50.00 each ,bought two star stellar lite 8ft M MH and a star delux 20 8ft' M, picked a Fin Nor OFS 5500 in box for 65.00 also a real nice Penn 704z,and Daiwa BG 60 (I took Ruff One & Mrs Ruff one advice on pairing set up) and can use on pier also, (Daughter moved to Clearwater close by a Fishing Pier) I have less then 150 in each set up. OH found a real nice clean used Daiwa BG 90 for digging Grouper at good price

Good used tackle is out there but you have to go find it . Cash money is still King