Old vs.New 4 stroke sound

JoepilotJoepilot Posts: 38 Deckhand
I have a 2000 4stroke yamaha F100
In the water it is very quiet. Sounds like a 4 stroke.
When it is out of the water with muffs it sounds like a 2 stroke.

My brother has a 2009 suzuki 4stroke 80 and running with the muffs
On it is like 80% quieter and a totally different kind of sound. "Like a compact car 4 stroke"

Why so different?

Thanks
Joe

Replies

• DRIFTER_016DRIFTER_016 Posts: 144 Officer
    Different types of exhaust systems.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    Your yamaha exhaust stack corroded apart.. :)
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • JoepilotJoepilot Posts: 38 Deckhand
    Corrosion? The motor only has 244 hours and doesn't show any hint of corrosion, that me or my pre purchase inspection found.
    Also mostly a freshwater boat, until now! mechanic said it sounded good.

Thanks
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,351 Moderator
    Yamaha had some bad PR from corroded exhaust cans and the way they handled it.
    Tater didn't you have go bad?
    I don't think that the F100 fell into the group of bad ones.
    The water muffles a lot of sound. It also provides some back pressure for the exhaust which could effect how the engine sounds.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • JoepilotJoepilot Posts: 38 Deckhand
    The power heads seems similar sound although the f100 is naturally aspirated.
    I am not Worried I was just curious what techno differences were from 2000 to 2009 were.
    I think in early 2000 EPA started more restriction for outboards. Probly had something to do with it.