Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Costa Blackfin sunglasses

2»

Replies

• FishslayaFishslaya Posts: 59 Deckhand
    So I was debating on weighing in on this thread but here's my .02 sorry its such a long rant. First off I have had 4 pairs of Costas and my most recent pair I had a great time with their customer service. I bought a pair of Hammerheads with the 580g green mirrored lens and got a friend of mine whose wife worked at an optical place that sold them to get them at the dealers cost. I paid about 125.00 for these glasses which is HALFof the MSRP(that's how much the markup is on them). Had them for 3 months when one of the lenses split down the middle without being dropped or mistreated, sent them back. Got quote from Costa which said it would be $100 for new lenses so much for their "LIFETIME GUARANTEE". So I called to plead my case and the guy said it was probably heat that caused it and that wasn't covered so after a lot of badgering I said ok but send me the old lenses back too. Nope the guy said they couldn't do that it was part of their policy so after a lot more badgering I conceded. The pair I had sent in I had snelled 200# test to the ear pieces after my costa wire retainers had lasted 3 months before the rubber separated from the wire, so what do they do but took a pair of dikes and cut the ends of the ear pieces with the mono off and sent that back with the glasses(they did put new ear pieces on). Are you kidding me???? Glasses lasted 2 more months and another lens cracks this time after I stated I had just had lenses replaced they did not charge me, couldn't believe it. Don't get me wrong love the look and clarity of the glasses but the huge markup, great "LIFETIME GUARANTEE" and poor customer service will have money going elsewhere to another brand next time. Hopefully this will help to influence some one else to not make my mistake
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Admiral
    Have and still owned several pairs of Costas in the past several years. Never had a bad experience with them or problem with their product that wasn't my own fault. Most people that have good experiences with a certain product don't give their good reviews- it's typically with those that have had bad ones, be it their own fault or the companies/poor product.
  • Whipper SnapperWhipper Snapper Posts: 576 Officer
    TightenUp wrote: »
    Yes, go see travis in the ocean waves store. They are very good. I'm on my 5 th pair. I paid full price the first time I bought them. Then 70 bucks for my new pair from there on out. All you need to have is your old pair and if you want new ones it's 70 bucks. Same thing with the lenses. I've never had a problem with them there and very happy with the service.

That has been my experience three times now, never a question or hesitation. Got to love customer service like that!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,094 Captain
    I love my costas ive had two pair and my buddies have them too and none of us have had any problems out of 5 pairs. Ethier way ill stick with costas
  • WatermanWaterman Posts: 130 Officer
    In my 23 Years in the Fishing business Costa is one of the best companies around. I have owned more glassses than I care to admit and never had an issue with any Costas. When I was in retail I saw dozens of people who wanted their glassed warrantied but definatly did NOT deserve it. Buying anything with a lifetime warranty does not mean it wont wear out over time. When ligimitate warranty issues did come up Costa was more than willing to work with the consumer.
  • Gills.Gone.WildGills.Gone.Wild Posts: 142 Deckhand
    Waterman wrote: »
    In my 23 Years in the Fishing business Costa is one of the best companies around. I have owned more glassses than I care to admit and never had an issue with any Costas. When I was in retail I saw dozens of people who wanted their glassed warrantied but definatly did NOT deserve it. Buying anything with a lifetime warranty does not mean it wont wear out over time. When ligimitate warranty issues did come up Costa was more than willing to work with the consumer.

I wish I could say that I have experienced the customer service from Costa that I have heard from so many people on various forums, but I haven't. When I've called their service department, the attitude I get from them is that my glasses failed from something I've done wrong. The rubber coating peeling off their frames is a widely known problem. I never heard about it from the dealer before I bought them. However, afterward they have told me it is something that will always happen. Always. Also, I would think that addressing known issues with defective products should get priority attention in the repair department over the pair of glasses that the dog chewed up. The six weeks that it took to get my 2 month-old defective frames replaced is absurd.
    I love my lenses. No issues so far with my 2 pairs of Harpoons nor my wife's 2 pairs of Isabellas.

I just wonder, why do they continue to put out a product that they know isn't working the way they had planned?
  • aitkenkingfishaitkenkingfish Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Bummer I've always been happy with my Costas I even broke a pair they said pick any at you would like. I can tell you if you break your oceanwaves they won't replace them for free.