Floating crabs!

On Sunday I saw dozens of crabs floating in the creek, most of them had been munched on and all their guts were gone, it was basically just a hollowed out shell and some claws. Anybody got any idea what was going on? There were tons of them everywhere and it was clear they'd been eaten. But did they die from something else, and then get eaten? Or were the reds and black drum busy hunting them down and eating them?

Replies

• ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Maybe they were molting out of their old shells. I dunno much about crab biology.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,929 Captain
    Hmm, I didn't think about that but that seems most likely.
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    I think if I saw that, I would go upstream and find out where it was coming from. I bet there were a few redfish checkin it out too.
    I went so far upstream I ran aground. I went to a spot I've seen black drum tailing at but could never get them to chew but they weren't home :(

At first I was motoring around scooping up the crabs thinking they'd make great bait, only to realize they were just empty shells :(
  • reddawgreddawg Posts: 140 Deckhand
    Raccoons. They will work on some crabs if they get a chance.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,283 AG
    They are shedding right now, that's what you saw.

If you had looked around a bit you probably would have seen some doublers(males holding and mating with the soft females).

It's that time of year and will peak either full moon this month or May, then slow down thru the summer until the big fall molt beginning in Sept and running thru Nov.(depending on the early cold weather).
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Some good info on this site for you nimrods.

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,967 Moderator
    Blue crabs.

A chicken neck tied to a cotton cord pitched out into what we called Bonita springs off of SR 40 is all I know about crabs.
    Some galvanized buckets , dipnet and yellowflies rounds out the experience.
    Except for the cleaning and cooking. Ever eat fried blue crab ?

Old school right there.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,800 Captain
    Art doesn't know squat about crabs.

You stumbled across the remnants of a redfish feeding frenzy. A half hour sooner and you could have slayed them.
    capt louie wrote: »
    Blue crabs.

A chicken neck tied to a cotton cord pitched out into what we called Bonita springs off of SR 40 is all I know about crabs.
    Some galvanized buckets , dipnet and yellowflies rounds out the experience.
    Except for the cleaning and cooking. Ever eat fried blue crab ?

Old school right there.
    Hard crabs? Grew up on them.

Clean, break the bottom shell with legs on, salt, pepper, lightly flour and fry.
    If they are light just crunch down shell and all.. if hard ya might want to pick out the meat and leave the shell outta your innards.
    Little painfull the next day...
    nick wrote: »

You stumbled across the remnants of a redfish feeding frenzy. A half hour sooner and you could have slayed them.

****, I knew it! :dance
    nick wrote: »

or this... 45 minutes later on the next tide change it might or might not occur again, best to wait and see.