Home Politics

It got me to thinking

cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 30,635 AG
A few recent threads I got involved with involving a certain member may have caused me to push the envelope a little. I have tried to usually stay on topic and not insult other members for the sake of insulting them. Maybe poke a jab or two in remarks, but not specific attacks.

I have also noticed that this seems to be a trend in the politics forum lately with fewer members discussing the subjects but rather trading insults.

For myself, I think it has gone far enough, so I am going to stop. If I seriously offended anyone, I honestly apologize. From his day forward I will not post a remark simply to taunt another member. However, do not take this to mean I will not respond to your wit in kind. If you feel the need to jab me with a funny, I will respond with a funny, with no malicious intent.

I will attempt to go back on topic and discuss the topics only.

Have a good evening.

Mini Mart Magnate

This forum is carbon based lifeform friendly. 

Replies

• LouieLouieLouieLouie Posts: 2,702 Officer
    :Spittingcoffee FAT CHANCE! You're a liberal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I want to offer thanks the "FS Forum Powers That Be" for giving me the opportunity to see the light and makes changes from my past... The knowledge and awareness I have gained during the last few months of BannedCation has helped changed my life... I will strive to continue in the right, I mean LEFT direction... Thank You.
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    Does anyone actually get offended on this forum from what another member posts?
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer

Hey, I get my feelings hurt here a lot. You all could be a little more sensitive.
    Chubasco.jpg
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,667 Admiral
    This doesn't mean you're going to cease being contrary does it????

Honestly......I'd miss that as it always reminds me of my grandfather who'd question your pronouncements and observations even when he agreed with them. Which had the effect of making us think harder............
  • Anonymous3Anonymous3 Posts: 5,987 Officer
    I think that he thought about the few happy marts with the same name in gainesville and decided that he probably ought to cool it to help keep his obamascare premiums lower. Even stupid liberals will consider self preservation over helping the " less fortunate ".
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,363 AG
    cadman wrote: »
    I have also noticed that this seems to be a trend in the politics forum lately with fewer members discussing the subjects but rather trading insults.

Its actually kind of sad, while it is fun to trade jabs occasionally, the way you and I do, what makes it interesting and enjoyable to visit here, is the ability to have a discussion on topic. Not agreeing on subjects is what makes the discussion often times enlightening.

Sadly, more and more it seems, there are just a bunch of whiney immature morons, who add absolutely nothing to any discussion, ever, but rather they just sit on the sidelines and wait to attack the poster personally. Pretty much every 'discussion' gets derailed from there on.

I guess some people need this place to release the frustration of their miserable lives.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 30,635 AG
    Its actually kind of sad, while it is fun to trade jabs occasionally, the way you and I do, what makes it interesting and enjoyable to visit here, is the ability to have a discussion on topic. Not agreeing on subjects is what makes the discussion often times enlightening.

Sadly, more and more it seems, there are just a bunch of whiney immature morons, who add absolutely nothing to any discussion, ever, but rather they just sit on the sidelines and wait to attack the poster personally. Pretty much every 'discussion' gets derailed from there on.

I guess some people need this place to release the frustration of their miserable lives.

The jabs we trade I have always considered in fun. I do not plan on stopping those. :)

But I will intermingle them with a comment about the subject.

Many members, myself included, have allowed ourselves to drop to the lowest common denominator. There are a few members who's only ability is to insult. They do not have an ability to debate, discuss, or present their side of the case. But most of us have had some spirited discussions that I think we have allowed these few individuals to ruin with their remarks that side track the discussion and drag it down. I have let myself get dragged into those and have decided to stop.

Mini Mart Magnate

bswiv wrote: »
    This doesn't mean you're going to cease being contrary does it????

Honestly......I'd miss that as it always reminds me of my grandfather who'd question your pronouncements and observations even when he agreed with them. Which had the effect of making us think harder............

Listen sonny, I am not sure I like being compared to your Grandfather. But no, don't worry. I plan on remaining quite contrary. I am going to refrain from posting for the sake of insulting.

I started posting in Politics to debate ideas and hopefully make people think.

Mini Mart Magnate

• Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer

Yup....:thumbsup
    I think that he thought about the few happy marts with the same name in gainesville and decided that he probably ought to cool it to help keep his obamascare premiums lower. Even stupid liberals will consider self preservation over helping the " less fortunate ".

Quite honestly, it is easy to call names and try to demean the other person. I can be quite good at it, as I have demonstrated on here. Most of the insult only members are very one dimensional knowing only how to use basic insults with no wit or humor attached. But it is not the reason I joined politics and I really don't want to turn in to one of those members who's post you know is just going to be name calling or insult.

Mini Mart Magnate

• Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    ...I started posting in Politics to debate ideas and hopefully make people think.

A noble goal...making other people think. :wink

I started posting in politics to debate ideas too, and hopefully make myself 'think'...by exposure to other folks way of thinking...with a little dash of humor on the side.

Lately, however, that exposure has exposed me to some unpleasantness regarding my own behavior. So I can relate to your initial post. There appears to be a concerted effort to diminish the best, and enhance the worst...it's certainly not unique to this place. Quite a few of 'the best' don't bother to come here anymore, and I miss them.

What's to be done?...I do not have control over anyone else's behavior, I can only control my response to it. :)
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

A few recent threads I got involved with involving a certain member may have caused me to push the envelope a little. I have tried to usually stay on topic and not insult other members for the sake of insulting them. Maybe poke a jab or two in remarks, but not specific attacks.

For myself, I think it has gone far enough, so I am going to stop. If I seriously offended anyone, I honestly apologize. From his day forward I will not post a remark simply to taunt another member. However, do not take this to mean I will not respond to your wit in kind. If you feel the need to jab me with a funny, I will respond with a funny, with no malicious intent.

Have a good evening.

So is this where you remove that bogus, falsely edited, taken out of context quote of mine in your signature?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I want to offer thanks the "FS Forum Powers That Be" for giving me the opportunity to see the light and makes changes from my past... The knowledge and awareness I have gained during the last few months of BannedCation has helped changed my life... I will strive to continue in the right, I mean LEFT direction... Thank You.
    LouieLouie wrote: »
    So is this where you remove that bogus, falsely edited, taken out of context quote of mine in your signature?

The quote in my signature is exactly what you wrote.

Here is the original quote in its entirety.
    Hey, I sincerely wish you and your family the best. I wish the liberals would become more accepting of other points of view. Nothing in my life or my words that shows lack of intolerance, bigotry or hate.

It is here
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?148540-Think-about-this/page4

I changed nothing from the original. However since your own words offend you so much, I will delete it.

Mini Mart Magnate

• navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,499 AG
    LOL. Hey Cadman, when did you become a liberal? What did I miss?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    I have been offended many times as people have called me a republican which I find as insulting and offensive as being called a democrat. I am neither because I am a conservative and neither republicans nor democrats are conservative.
    Deo Vindice
    Parkerboy wrote: »
    neither republicans nor democrats are conservative.

Maybe, or maybe not. There are those who are conservative in both parties but that isn't the general perception. Pub= conservative
    Dem= liberal. Stereotypes exist for a reason, there generally is some measure of truth behind them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    navigator2 wrote: »
    Maybe, or maybe not. There are those who are conservative in both parties but that isn't the general perception. Pub= conservative
    Dem= liberal. Stereotypes exist for a reason, there generally is some measure of truth behind them.

Most conservatives vote republican, all liberals vote democrat.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG

:grin I'm pretty sure that is its intent and purpose:
    nuevowavo wrote:
    This is a sewer where we flush the garbage that we don't want polluting the fishing sections of the Forum, nothing more.

It even has it's own unique set of rules to contain the offensive behavior.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • jlh49jlh49 Posts: 3,127 Officer

Have a good evening.

It will be a difficult endeavor, Cadman, because the egos of some can only be childishly satisfied at the expense of making others look inferior. However; the current modus operandi is pretty much a result of "Assimilation through Association," propagated by the culture of television programming. After all, a successful sit-com is obviously one that makes audiences laugh by using catty remarks, critiquing comments, and other behaviors to make others look foolish, ridiculous, and/or stupid.

Who is the most popular? The witty one with quick retorts that penetrate to the actual soul of the latest victim while the audience roars with approval.

Lastly, some responses are legitimate feelings of those who passionately believe in and defend their belief systems. And when backed into a corner about those beliefs, will utilize any means possible to dilute and/or deflect from the obvious. It does not make them bad people, only passionate ones about what they believe.

I applaud your intended effort, and may God's Speed be with you.
    The quote in my signature is exactly what you wrote.

Here is the original quote in its entirety.

It is here
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?148540-Think-about-this/page4

I changed nothing from the original. However since your own words offend you so much, I will delete it.

Pure BS!
  • Hickory DogHickory Dog Posts: 5,047 Officer
    Pure BS!

It is exactly as you wrote it. What are you contesting?
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,844 Captain

Have a good evening.

I check out the politics forum 3 or 4 times a day. I sit at my desk all day sometimes 12 or 14 hours a day. It's a good break for me.
    And I know some of you will laugh but I lurk around here expecting to learn something and I do, every day.
    There are quite a few of you that I always follow your threads because I know that I will learn something or at the very least be entertained for a few minutes. Cadman is one of them.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
    Pure BS!

No, it is not. I simply copied what you wrote. Go LOOK. Multitudes of people tried to call your attention to it, but you chose to ignore them. It was exactly what you wrote. I do not change peoples quotes. Again, sorry if your own words offend you. The quote above is exactly what you wrote.

Mini Mart Magnate

• ac2020ac2020 Posts: 5,730 Officer
    LOL. Hey Cadman, when did you become a liberal? What did I miss?

Uhm, everyone is a liberal here if they don't post at least 1 negative and hateful thing about Obama per day. lol

And if someone contradicts said negative thing...oh lord.
    The only time republicans and democrats are right is when they're blaming each other. :USA
    ac2020 wrote: »
    Uhm, everyone is a liberal here if they don't post at least 1 negative and hateful thing about Obama per day. lol

Gee, that NEVER happened with Bush in office. :Spittingcoffee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    Gee, that NEVER happened with Bush in office. :Spittingcoffee

Butttttttttttttttttt Bushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rotflmao
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    ac2020 wrote: »

lets call in the Whaaaaambulence for you ! geesh
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,667 Admiral
    Listen sonny, I am not sure I like being compared to your Grandfather. But no, don't worry. I plan on remaining quite contrary. I am going to refrain from posting for the sake of insulting.

I started posting in Politics to debate ideas and hopefully make people think.

"sonny".......why thank you. Not often a grandfather gets credited with youth.

And do know that it is a complement to be compared to granddad.........