WAC 3/15 trout

Little late on my report but figured I should share. The moon phase was not the best but I could not help to go and try. My wife and step-son hit the water around 1 pm with the last part of the incoming tide rolling in. The water temp was around 68 degrees and the wind not to bothersome. We arrived at Porpoise Point and set up a drift and the bite was slow. The water was high and we were in 5ft of water where this area averages 3ft so I figured I might run out to some patchy bottom west of Bird Island to see if anyone was home. After a dozen of little guys I decided to run into Lowes Bay, there are a few bars I fish between Mangrove point and bird island and a **** rock that I try to avoid but seem to find every now and then. I found that the trout here are averaging 13-14 inches, better than the greedy 10 inchers but not what I wanted. At this time the wind picked up and the tide was rolling out at steady pace, I repositioned the same drift as the last and bam 4 keeper trout one at 19in. Most of the day we used live shrimp which was great but I prefer plastics and the Gulp is what brought the last 4 keepers in. We used 3inch new penny and pearl gulp. I did try some root-beer Gulp but there was very little response. All was caught on popping corks jigging the bottom was not very productive either. I did notice when I was able to see bottom that the grass looks fairly lush but the water is still very murky. In the end we kept 4 trout which is plenty anyhow and the family had a great day so it was worth the trip.

Replies

• Little_GeneLittle_Gene Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Very cool! thanks for sharing the area's and what you were catching them on.
  • davidk5316davidk5316 Posts: 417 Officer
    Awesome report and some real nice info.!!!! Nice filets there for a good dinner.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,929 Captain
    You messed up, now I'm gonna fish out all your spots!

:)

Thanks for the report, I'm gonna try to make it out there this weekend if the weather doesn't give me fits.
  • luiegluieg Posts: 54 Deckhand
    Nothing really secret per say there. A few special rocks that are only good for skeg damage. Easy area to fish once you put some time in and avoiding the idiots throwing anchors in 3 ft of water . Look for patchy bottom and try a variety of baits until you find a productive one. They can be tricky from time to time and are very leader shy ..
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Anytime a person can get out is a good time to go fishing, Thanks for the report...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead