Home General Fishing

shimano sustain 4000fg for offshore?

tyxpxtyxpx Posts: 390 Officer
Got a 4000fg on a st croix legend xtreme inshore 10-20lb rod. I know the rod is light and only have 15lb braid on it but I was thinking of getting a spare spool and heavier rod to bring with me on offshore trips. Maybe 40lb braid to drop live shrimp and such on reefs.

Would the 4000 be good for this? Would it handle a good size grouper if I hooked into one on it? what about the wear on the reel from this?

Replies

• superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    i would think putting 40# braid on a reel that only has a 20# drag wouldnt be too good.
    i mean you figure, they say 20# drag, but its probably less than that. ive tested 15# super slick power pro, and it broke at 26#
    if you get a big fish on, the drag wont stop it regardless of how thick your braid is. if you cant stop a big fish, you need more line, not heavier line. but if your bottom fishing, it probably doesnt matter because its just running for cover, then thats it anyway.
    ive seen a lot of reels come in that had their gears shot out and just beat up because they are putting 30# braid on a 3000-4000 reel. and just over doing it. i mean you can try, and it would probably work, but id say youll probably get beat more times than not. and risk messing up your 300+ dollar reel.
    i would think that set up would be good for snappers. some. yellowtails and stuff, but its mostly an inshore reel. i think the set up you have right now is about perfect for inshore stuff and thats what it does.

get yourself something heavier for offshore. 6000+

i dont know too much about offshore fishing, but thats my opinion.
  • tyxpxtyxpx Posts: 390 Officer
    Its got 24 pound drag. And I was thinking heavier line for sheer protection. I would target snapper with it. I have a heavy set up for targeting grouper but I'd also like to fish for snapper also. Kind awkward putting a shrimp on the end of 80lb line and 114h lol.

This setup is for inshore and yes it's great at that. And I def don't wanna screw up this reel.

Gotta be a good solution for this.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    tyxpx wrote: »
    Its got 24 pound drag. And I was thinking heavier line for sheer protection. I would target snapper with it. I have a heavy set up for targeting grouper but I'd also like to fish for snapper also. Kind awkward putting a shrimp on the end of 80lb line and 114h lol.

This setup is for inshore and yes it's great at that. And I def don't wanna screw up this reel.

Gotta be a good solution for this.

There is , leave that reel at the dock. @ 24lbs of drag your spool would pop off that little reel and fall to the bottom of the ocean. (you can't always believe marketing bs).

(if you are strictly fishing for mangrove snapper you can get away with that little reel)

If you are fishing for whatever bites....

A spheros or saragosa on a BWSJL220066 and be done with it.

seriously , read up on drags.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/science-drag?page=0,0

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?32396-Reels-and-blanks-are-on-order-Pretty-sure-I-done-good!&highlight=makaira
  • Settin_HooksSettin_Hooks Posts: 237 Deckhand
    Or a 6000 or 10000 series sustain..
    2006 Maverick Master Angler SOLD
    2016 Sea Hunt Gamefish 25
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,970 Admiral
    superduper wrote: »
    i would think putting 40# braid on a reel that only has a 20# drag wouldnt be too good.
    i mean you figure, they say 20# drag, but its probably less than that. ive tested 15# super slick power pro, and it broke at 26#
    if you get a big fish on, the drag wont stop it regardless of how thick your braid is. if you cant stop a big fish, you need more line, not heavier line. but if your bottom fishing, it probably doesnt matter because its just running for cover, then thats it anyway.
    ive seen a lot of reels come in that had their gears shot out and just beat up because they are putting 30# braid on a 3000-4000 reel. and just over doing it. i mean you can try, and it would probably work, but id say youll probably get beat more times than not. and risk messing up your 300+ dollar reel.
    i would think that set up would be good for snappers. some. yellowtails and stuff, but its mostly an inshore reel. i think the set up you have right now is about perfect for inshore stuff and thats what it does.

get yourself something heavier for offshore. 6000+

i dont know too much about offshore fishing, but thats my opinion.
    X2.

I argued very frequently with friends about the opportunity to load lines stronger than the maximum tolerated by rod and reel combinated.
    For a 20# combo a 30# line (if the need is to have a psychological sense of safing, personally I load a 20# line on 4k Shimano) could still be ok but 40# or more is useless and dangerous (for the gear) IMO.
    If the need is to have a strong line the rod+reel combo has to be adequate.
    For a 40# line at least a 6k (or better a 8k) Shimano is suggested (and obviously the rod should be adeguate to the reel)
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
    It would be strictly for snapper but I've also caught good size grouper on a shrimp too so you never know. I saw a guy land, yes land a giant gag my last trip out on a 4000 garbage reel. Drag was smoking the whole time and it took a good 15 20 min to get it up but he did it. He got that on one live shrimp.

Maybe I'll just sell my current heavy setup and find a nice 6 or 8k reel with 40 to 50lb test and use it for both grouper digging and snapper snatchin.

I've seen used fg for good prices. Those new spinning torques look awesome too
    It would be strictly for snapper but I've also caught good size grouper on a shrimp too so you never know. I saw a guy land, yes land a giant gag my last trip out on a 4000 garbage reel. Drag was smoking the whole time and it took a good 15 20 min to get it up but he did it. He got that on one live shrimp.

Maybe I'll just sell my current heavy setup and find a nice 6 or 8k reel with 40 to 50lb test and use it for both grouper digging and snapper snatchin.

I've seen used fg for good prices. Those new spinning torques look awesome too
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 562 Officer
    Keep that set up and use it for fun on the snappers. You might run the risk of losing some big fish, but that's part of fishing lighter tackle. Have fun and enjoy the drag singing when a king or grouper grabs your shrimp. 4000/5000 size spinners are a blast to use offshore.
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,427 Officer
    I have 20lb braid on mine and I have landed numerous red grouper on it up to 15 lbs. Not gonna land them all but its fun. Just palm the spool when you think he is gonna rock you. Also fun for big muttons!
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    Snaphappy wrote: »
    I have 20lb braid on mine and I have landed numerous red grouper on it up to 15 lbs. Not gonna land them all but its fun. Just palm the spool when you think he is gonna rock you. Also fun for big muttons!

:Agree

This, I have 4000F Saragosa with 20-lb braid on it that serves for my yellowtail/mangrove/mutton reel, as well as redfish/trout/snook etc. on the flats around cover. It has also put many small to mid-sized grouper on board when needed, as Snaphappy said, palm the spool a bit when necessary and keep their noses turned in the right direction! This has been a phenomenal all around reel that serves my purpose well. I have the reel on an 7-foot 8-17lb. Ugly Stik Custom rod.

I also have a few 6000FA Spheros reels with 25-40 lb. braid on for the bigger stuff on reef and patches, and a couple 8000 series baitrunner models that serve for my live baiting needs, all having their own purposes.....