Please Help! I'm confused!

Can someone please explain the 20 fathom line for me? I saw on myfwc that certain grouper were open year round in the Gulf inside the 20 fathom line. So does that mean as long as your within 140 feet of water these certain grouper are legal to keep? Wish they would make it easier for us to understand. Thanks for the responses!

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    wildtky101 wrote: »
    Can someone please explain the 20 fathom line for me? I saw on myfwc that certain grouper were open year round in the Gulf inside the 20 fathom line. So does that mean as long as your within 140 feet of water these certain grouper are legal to keep? Wish they would make it easier for us to understand. Thanks for the responses!

Since 1 Fathom = 6 feet, the demarcation is inside 120 feet (not 140 feet)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,366 Captain
    It's not hard to understand. Red grouper and scamp can't be kept when you fish outside of the 120 ft line until April 1st. The other shallow water grouper species aren't generally caught around here. After April 1, red grouper and scamp caught at any depth may be kept. Gags are still closed until July 1 in Federal water.