Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Decent Day from shore

Slept in late figuring there would be showers all day. Peeked outside and saw the sun pretty much shining even though it was kind of windy.

Rushed eating breakfast and got the dog and gear into the car and headed to B&M tackle. Got my bait and found out a couple Deputies from JSO were getting ready to take some kids fishing after one finished their shift.

Got to Cooper park and pulled in. Tried the fresh dead shrimp, nothing was hitting it. While I was drowning the dead bait, took my spinning outfit and used the Redfish Magic spinner and every so often it would just get hammered.

Got a couple of these guys:

0328141258_zps3dde768b.jpg

Did notice they just ignored the white swim baits even though there are some fish that are milky white with a circle behind the eye that is there. But dear god they would just eat with extreme prejudice the one that was colored new penny.

So, not bad, plan n heading out again tommorrow too.

Replies

• WhyWorkWhyWork Posts: 266 Deckhand
    Nice blue, better than working
  • rookiemistakerookiemistake Posts: 1,174 Officer
    I actually saw a cop with poles out his cruiser window this morning.those blues seem to be everywhere. A kroc spoon with a litle wire makes for a fun day
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Captain
    A lot better than your previous trip.... Surprised you didn't get anything on the shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • CoydogCoydog Posts: 418 Deckhand
    WhyWork wrote: »
    Nice blue, better than working

Hehe, thanks. For me, this is not a nice blue. I'm originally from New England the blues we land are usually in the 14-20lb range. This is just a baby for me.
    I actually saw a cop with poles out his cruiser window this morning.those blues seem to be everywhere. A kroc spoon with a litle wire makes for a fun day

Wouldn't be suprised if it was the same one. Thinking of doing a small pay it forward next time I got a few dollars for the cops. I've had a few give me a few breaks in life. Also, it's to help some kids who normally wouldn't be going.
    samsiam74 wrote: »
    A lot better than your previous trip.... Surprised you didn't get anything on the shrimp.

*laughs* I know. Was fun, had my buddy around with me and he was barking at the blue and jumping up and down, thinking we got dinner.
  • JizzoJizzo Posts: 1,362 Officer
    Should have filet it and fed it to him. I just discovered that my dogs love raw fish scraps. I've been tossing them to them and now they beg for em. I going to start saving trash fish for them.
    -Jon
    Jizzo wrote: »
    Should have filet it and fed it to him. I just discovered that my dogs love raw fish scraps. I've been tossing them to them and now they beg for em. I going to start saving trash fish for them.

I wouldn't do that blues. Even though they are pretty small down here, up north they are just awesome to fight. Also, if you bleed them right away properly, usually along the tail to bleed them out, pretty good eating too.
  • JizzoJizzo Posts: 1,362 Officer
    Yeah....their not too bad. I agree....the bigger ones are fun. Biggest I've probably caught (down here) is 26". That's a rare fish here. I usually don't eat them unless I haven't had fish in a while.
    -Jon
  • River555River555 Posts: 361 Officer
    Would not do anything extra for the boys n blue!! They are pretty much a thorn in the average fellas side, instead of actually busting the real criminals they would rather make traffic stops and pull over veterans with tag light out..... Glorified donut disposals
    Coy, once you put in a little time and learn the area some, you won't think about keeping that blue.... There's plenty around and even though my in laws love the bigger ones, the only time I keep them is if I need some trolling bait and can't find anything else. I'll see if I can find the thread discussing shore spots but there's a ton around.... You can find fish all over, quality is much better than quantity and you have simply got to figure out where they're at in your particular location. The one thing you can guarantee is that they are there, somewhere.

I can't help you much with the north side of the river as the spots I do have up there were given to me and that, I swore I wouldn't share.... The south side is a bit different....... I found them on my own.

Thanks sam.

Not woried about spots exactly, just what to look for and such. Half the fun is finding them, but I need to know what to look for first.

Now, what I am really after is trout. Just craving a nice baked trout with crab stuffing.
    Hmmm..... I don't fish for trout ..... Someone else will be able to help ya. The only yellow mouth or spotted trout I've ever caught were by catch..... Just never targeted them.