Home Conservation Front

Mullet Roe Money

LinesiderLinesider Posts: 83 Deckhand
Some buddies and I were discussing the mullet roe pricing and had only guesses instead of answers. Would appreciate anyone's input on how much money a commercial cast netter gets nowadays per pound or 5-pounds or whatever increment is usually sold to a wholesaler/buyer?

From there, if anyone knows, how much does the wholesaler get for the same increment to a buyer representing, say, the Tokyo or Taiwan market? Finally, how much does the restaurant in Asia pay for that increment?

I do have an idea of what that plate of roe costs to a diner!

Thanks ...

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,688 AG
    last time I sold much roe mullet(gill netted in 1995) I received $2.65 per lb for the whole mullet, straight squeeze red out the ****.

I heard $1.75/lb this past fall on a 18% + yield.

4-6 oz avg roe markets for less than 6-8 or 8oz+ roe but you would have to know a wholesaler well to get his bottom line, not that it is any of your business.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • LinesiderLinesider Posts: 83 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info.
  • jamroycejamroyce Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    This is a very informative conversation! This year what is the rate of mullet roe? However,
    last week, according to the U.S. Department of Labor, the amount of unemployment apps submitted dropped by 6,000. That is consistent with other recent reports that indicate a moderate growth in the nation's hiring.
    spam^^^^
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Linesider wrote: »
    Some buddies and I were discussing the mullet roe pricing and had only guesses instead of answers. Would appreciate anyone's input on how much money a commercial cast netter gets nowadays per pound or 5-pounds or whatever increment is usually sold to a wholesaler/buyer?

From there, if anyone knows, how much does the wholesaler get for the same increment to a buyer representing, say, the Tokyo or Taiwan market? Finally, how much does the restaurant in Asia pay for that increment?

I do have an idea of what that plate of roe costs to a diner!

Thanks ...

This past roe Mullet season female (red roe) Mullet, at an average of 18%, in Charlotte County fetched between $1.50 and $2.15 per pound depending on who the Mullet was sold to. The market got saturated pretty quickly so the price for most of the season was $1.50 - $1.75 with white roe (males) at roughly .15 to .20 cents per pound.
    Westwall01 wrote: »
    This past roe Mullet season female (red roe) Mullet, at an average of 18%, in Charlotte County fetched between $1.50 and $2.15 per pound depending on who the Mullet was sold to. The market got saturated pretty quickly so the price for most of the season was $1.50 - $1.75 with white roe (males) at roughly .15 to .20 cents per pound.
    roe is eggs, the white is milt or ****.
  • gill nettergill netter Posts: 236 Deckhand
    For sale:
    25 foot mullet boat
    200 Yamaha
    10 "east coast" nets
    RS Negotiable
    $25,000
    PM if interested