Home Conservation Front

Fishing gear hurting birds at Sunshine Skyway pier Read more here: http://www.braden

CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
http://www.bradenton.com/2014/03/15/5047710/fishing-gear-hurting-birds-at.html

BRADENTON, Fla. — Gulf coast bird rescuers are warning about a type of fishing gear they say is killing and maiming seabirds, particularly at a fishing pier at the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

Fishing gear called a Sabiki rig is causing injury and death to sea birds, such as pelicans, cormorants, herons, terns and egrets.

The Bradenton Herald (http://bit.ly/1cGj53L) reports that the rig is meant to catch bait fish, but it has multiple hooks and such a lightweight line that if a bird swoops down to eat bait fish and flies away, the line breaks and the hooks become caught in its flesh.

Bird rescuers recommend that if someone accidentally hooks a bird, they try to reel the animal in, safely remove any hooks or line and release the animal.

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2014/03/15/5047710/fishing-gear-hurting-birds-at.html#storylink=cpy

Replies

• bay20bay20 Posts: 1,490 Officer
    oh boy going to outlaw sabiki rigs now, where's peta when you need the fishing police. Must be a slow news day in the Bradenton area.
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 338 Deckhand
    Really have these people seen the size of these hooks, yea it may hurt. But it ain't gonna stop the bird from anything.
  • MattDMattD Posts: 168 Officer
    And I would think they would rust out in a matter of a day or two

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain
    So now I guess all sabiki rigs will have to have circle hooks...............:rotflmao

Wait lets not give them any ideas.
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    They are finding a bunch of dead birds tangled in the sobiki rigs. Only a deal with bridge fishing as the birds go after the fish in the air as they are reeled up.
  • TypicleseTypiclese Posts: 393 Deckhand
    Cyclist wrote: »
    They are finding a bunch of dead birds tangled in the sobiki rigs. Only a deal with bridge fishing as the birds go after the fish in the air as they are reeled up.

let darwin sort it out...after all cyclist - he is your god.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    Cyclist wrote: »
    They are finding a bunch of dead birds tangled in the sobiki rigs..

Link to data quantifying "a bunch of dead birds" tangled in sabiki rigs. Thanks.
    Link to data quantifying "a bunch of dead birds" tangled in sabiki rigs. Thanks.

http://www.theonlinefisherman.com/reel-news/item/sabiki-rigs-and-injured-seabirds
    "It's just getting to be a worse and worse problem," said Jean Bystrom, a volunteer from Holmes Beach, who has spent the past five Sundays in a boat rescuing pelicans and other birds from underneath the Sunshine Skyway Fishing Pier.

The Sabiki Rig is meant to catch baitfish, but it has multiple hooks and such a lightweight line that if a bird swoops down to eat bait fish and flies away, the line breaks and the hooks become caught in its flesh, or the bird becomes entangled in line, she said. "They're just encased in line and hooks, with also a big sinker attached to them," said Bystrom, whose husband, veterinarian Bill Bystrom, stitches up some of the rescued birds.

"Usually, when we get done with surgery, we take them down to the Seabird Sanctuary, and they rehabilitate there and release them," said Bill Bystrom.

One day at the Skyway pier, the Bystroms found 26 entangled birds; Jean Bystrom also later found dead or injured birds who had flown to roosting sites nearby, she said.

The number rescued that day at the pier was verified by Mike Patterson, who said he was employed by the pier management to rescue entangled birds. He contended that every pier has a similar problem, but that because the Skyway is the world's longest, "We get blamed for everybody's birds; it just irritates me to death," Patterson said.

Although he has met with Audubon representatives and those of various rescue operations, and they all talk about sending help, it never happens, Patterson said.

However, lately two girls have been picking up injured birds and dropping them off for care in Sarasota, and that's helped a lot, he said.

"I'm getting it under control here, regular guys are actively helping me catch them now," he said of those who are fishing along the pier. "It's almost always the tourists that are doing it. I'm doing everything I can to help the birds, but it's a fishing pier."
  • CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    Pete:
    I do agree with you on this.....anglers must to all they can to prevent harm to birds.....

A few suggestions....
    Use heavier line that will not break as easy that will assist in not letting the birds break off.....
    Sabikis are easy to remove as long as you have the bird in hand (instead of the bush)

Another thing is that pier fishermen could go back to using minnow rings, which we used to use (as well as 10 gold hooks before sabikis)
    This is a series of wire rings of different sizes usually with a red ribbon passed through them...they are lowered in the water and white bait and green backs swim through them and are entangled

The biggest thing is education and informing folks to simply just not break the bird off...sometimes it is unavoidable, but in most cases the bird can be retrieved and safely set free or at least have rescue help called.
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes
    Pete:
    I do agree with you on this.....anglers must to all they can to prevent harm to birds.....

A few suggestions....
    Use heavier line that will not break as easy that will assist in not letting the birds break off.....
    Sabikis are easy to remove as long as you have the bird in hand (instead of the bush)

Another thing is that pier fishermen could go back to using minnow rings, which we used to use (as well as 10 gold hooks before sabikis)
    This is a series of wire rings of different sizes usually with a red ribbon passed through them...they are lowered in the water and white bait and green backs swim through them and are entangled

The biggest thing is education and informing folks to simply just not break the bird off...sometimes it is unavoidable, but in most cases the bird can be retrieved and safely set free or at least have rescue help called.

Thanks for your input Captain. I have never fished from the bridge, the span must be pretty high.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,606 AG
    About 20'
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    another issue that should get attention, is how feeding birds fish carcasses can kill them
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,606 AG
    I don't think I've ever been to a pier where some dufus wasn't feeding the pelicans.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • gill nettergill netter Posts: 236 Deckhand
    Wait.....What?? Its the hooks from rec fishermen killing all of them birds. I'vebeen on timeout all this time and it was hooks killing all the sea life! Im glad we finally cleared that up....