Home General Fishing

Whats The Best Way To Keep Sand Fleas Alive

BridgeRodBridgeRod Posts: 211 Officer
What are the best methods to keep sand fleas alive?

Replies

• fishing-guyfishing-guy Posts: 543 Officer
    5 gallons bucket 5 inch of sand 2 news paper wet and again 5 inch of sand newspaper on top put a little sand and your sand fleas and change the news paper every days
  • BridgeRodBridgeRod Posts: 211 Officer
    I'm trying to comprehend what you're saying. 5 inches of sand, then 2 newspapers wet, then 5 more inches of sand then again 2 newspapers wet. Am I right? Also do you want the fleas on the bottom of the bucket or some on bottom and some in between the newspaper layers?
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    Sandfleas pee a lot. That is what kills most of them - if kept in a bucket they'll pee all over each other and it kills them.

So the first order of business is to keep them RINSED. I have had the best success keeping them in a well drained 'mesh' bucket, and rinsing them once or twice daily in a 5-gal bucket of saltwater.

In the sand/newspaper method described above... the sand and newspaper are absorbing a lot of the sandflea pee... same idea but it does not work as well as rinsing.

You also want to keep them cool. When the weather is nice I have kept them in the garage - rinsing every day - for over a week. If it is hot out you might consider putting them in your bait fridge.
  • NauticalWheelerNauticalWheeler Posts: 445 Deckhand
    Sandfleas pee a lot. That is what kills most of them - if kept in a bucket they'll pee all over each other and it kills them.

So the first order of business is to keep them RINSED. I have had the best success keeping them in a well drained 'mesh' bucket, and rinsing them once or twice daily in a 5-gal bucket of saltwater.

In the sand/newspaper method described above... the sand and newspaper are absorbing a lot of the sandflea pee... same idea but it does not work as well as rinsing.

You also want to keep them cool. When the weather is nice I have kept them in the garage - rinsing every day - for over a week. If it is hot out you might consider putting them in your bait fridge.

Not sure I buy the "pee" argument (if you're serious) though your solution sounds good.

Seems to me like they would be just like crabs. If you put a bunch of them in water they'll use up the oxygen in the water and suffocate. If you let them dry out too long their gills dry out and they can't breathe because of that. Rinsing and keeping cool would let them breathe.
    Yes it is true, but don't believe me what do I know :rotflmao
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    I have a box made of pressure treated plywood. It has galvy mesh 4" up from the bottom. The lid is just zip tied on.

I keep it in a cooler with ice, and rinse them down with fresh saltwater. I also use a old wash towel over the top of them (wet with saltwater).

Keep a bucket of saltwater and rinse them down 4-6X a day. They'll live 3 days max..
    got ants? wrote: »
    I have a box made of pressure treated plywood. It has galvy mesh 4" up from the bottom. The lid is just zip tied on.

I keep it in a cooler with ice, and rinse them down with fresh saltwater. I also use a old wash towel over the top of them (wet with saltwater).

Keep a bucket of saltwater and rinse them down 4-6X a day. They'll live 3 days max..

That's exactly the kind of set up I'm talking about... keep them rinsed and keep them drained... although I have kept them alive longer than 3 days for sure...

The sand method works too... but the problem with keeping them in sand, is that you have to dig them out of the sand when you're ready to use them...
  • dlagatordlagator Posts: 790 Officer
    got ants? wrote: »

Sounds like too much work...I dug about 40 of them last weekend. Put about 6" of sand on them....did not rinse them at all...and they lasted 4 days(threw them out and they were all kickin')....
  • Paragon1Paragon1 Posts: 510 Officer
    Not putting hooks in them helps :-)