Home General Fishing

Quantum Boca 40PTSD vs. Penn Conflict 4000

lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 338 Deckhand
Ok looking at new reel to pair with a Calico jack rod I have, it currently has a cheap Shimano I got in a raffle. Looking to use this reel and rod combo for everything in flamingo from the little jacks to big snook and maybe tarpon. Will also see some use bottom fishing but not a priority.

$150 for the reel is the max I'm gonna spend so I'm looking at the Boca 40ptsd and Conflict 4000. I have played around with a conflict for a bit and a big fan of Penn but have always respected Quantum and the Boca looks like it will last with whatever I throw at it. Gonna spool with either 20lb or 30lb braid but I'm not really a crank the drag all the way down kinda fisher, probably only use 5-10lbs of drag normally.

So y'all that have had some experience with either one or both, how they holding up and anything else you got to say about them?

Replies

• minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
    I would go with the Boca its going to be more durable then conflict and i feel like it will preform better. i have the boca 60 i use it for jigging and it works great. Its lightweight and i love the bail wire.
  • CoydogCoydog Posts: 418 Deckhand
    I'd go conflict. Heard the Boca's are pretty good in the 60 and 80 series, the smaller ones are just almost like another reel according to Alan Hawk.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    yeah, spinfisher 3500. same size as a 4000. just about the same capacity, and 20# of drag, sounds like a 4000 to me.
    or a 4500 spinfisher V. you can get one at a local tackle shop paying with cash for a bit cheaper than most places.

at least at my local tackle shop. 135 for a 3500 spinfisher, 137 for a 4500, that seems pretty cheap to me.
  • FishWithChrisFishWithChris TallahasseePosts: 143 Deckhand
    I have an older boca 30 series which has been great for me. I have 30lb braid and catch some big ol' fish on it (saying here, 6'+ bull sharks, monster bull reds, etc). It has some weight, but very durable. I have it paired w/ a medium Shimano Clarus

I also just picked up a new 2500 Conflict which has been great for me - a lot of fun we upper/over slot reds up to the 30" range, haven't really had an opportunity for much else on it yet.

I ALSOOOOOOOOO have a new Shimano Symetre 3000 that has been an absolute beast on the flats... granted I'm not pulling in snook or bottom fishing.

In other words, what I'm saying has no weight to your decision at all... :rotflmao

Why not see if you can find a good condition used Stradic somewhere? In this case, however, brand new, I'd go with the BOCA
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,102 Officer
    my first boca 40 is still catching big fish after 8 years of abuse and catching big tarpon, snook, bull reds, tripletail, cobia, sharks. It just was serviced, professionally, for the first time this year. It is beginning to show signs of wearing down after last fall's winning tussle with giant tarpon (180+). It has a nice drag system. I have 2 boca 50's as well and a couple cabos (40 and 60).
    For $100 (the older model) you can not go wrong. I prefer the older to the newer models of boca and cabos, they seem more durable, easier to clean and maintain.
  • Beached anglerBeached angler Posts: 196 Officer
    lifegoeson wrote: »
    Ok looking at new reel to pair with a Calico jack rod I have, it currently has a cheap Shimano I got in a raffle. Looking to use this reel and rod combo for everything in flamingo from the little jacks to big snook and maybe tarpon. Will also see some use bottom fishing but not a priority.

$150 for the reel is the max I'm gonna spend so I'm looking at the Boca 40ptsd and Conflict 4000. I have played around with a conflict for a bit and a big fan of Penn but have always respected Quantum and the Boca looks like it will last with whatever I throw at it. Gonna spool with either 20lb or 30lb braid but I'm not really a crank the drag all the way down kinda fisher, probably only use 5-10lbs of drag normally.

So y'all that have had some experience with either one or both, how they holding up and anything else you got to say about them?

Diawa Procyon? I love mine, it held up better than all my penns
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    I have a couple calico jack rods and they're great but I'm not sure if they're up to bringing in a Tarpon. Which model do you have?
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 338 Deckhand
    Well I have gift cards to bass pro so no used, and I have used stradics and I don't think there worth the money personally and they look cheap to me. I like the spinfisher but it's not gonna match the rod at all, that might kill its chances. If I was looking at a snapper rod the spinfisher would probably be number one.

The older Boca is what has me looking at the new ones, if I could I would spring for the Cabo but I can't.

I'm pretty good on my equipment, and have only broken a pflueger while trying to use it saltwater.
    7' med/heavy 10-20lb line weight. No plans of catching a large tarpon, but if I throw out a pin fish under a bobber and a tarpon hits I think I'll manage.

The rod even with the cheap reel has brought in small dolphin, legal grouper, plenty of snapper, a 3 1/2' cuda, and some small nurse sharks with ease on the rod part.
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    I have that rod too. If you stay away from structure and follow it with the boat maybe. Gonna be a long fight. Anyway, I haven't used either reel you mentioned so I'm not much help there. People seem to love the Cabo.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
    Yeah I have a 6500 bait runner on a Penn slammer if I want to go hit up a bridge and target tarpon.

We'll I guess I'm inpatient as I swung by basspro today while I was in the area and fondled both the Conflict 4000 and Boca. Boca defiantly has a beefier feel to it without being to much bigger. Also looked at the Conflict 5000 but did not like the circle foam grip, and the spinfisher 4500 which was about the same size as the Boca but heavier in hand. The spinfisher was nice but IMO not what I was looking for to pair with the Calico Jack.

After 15 minutes of going back in forth I have a new Boca to try out with 150 yards of 30lb braid and about 50 yards of backing. Might get some use tomorrow on bass just to make sure it works.
  • BigTimeBigTime Posts: 611 Officer
    lifegoeson wrote: »
    Yeah I have a 6500 bait runner on a Penn slammer if I want to go hit up a bridge and target tarpon.

We'll I guess I'm inpatient as I swung by basspro today while I was in the area and fondled both the Conflict 4000 and Boca. Boca defiantly has a beefier feel to it without being to much bigger. Also looked at the Conflict 5000 but did not like the circle foam grip, and the spinfisher 4500 which was about the same size as the Boca but heavier in hand. The spinfisher was nice but IMO not what I was looking for to pair with the Calico Jack.

After 15 minutes of going back in forth I have a new Boca to try out with 150 yards of 30lb braid and about 50 yards of backing. Might get some use tomorrow on bass just to make sure it works.

You should have PMed me. Could have put you in a Cabo for the amount you spent on the Boca. Next time let me know when you are looking.

• tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 405 Deckhand
    Good decision with the boca. I love my older ones for inshore, although a little heavy, they are tough and can handle big fish and my new 60 size is a beast and i really want to hook some bigger fish on it to really put it to the test.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,144 Captain
    Boca, no question. I have one that's 6-7 years old, got 1000's of casts on it, and never a problem. Reds, snook, trout, jacks, yellow tails, sharks, a couple decent cones, still going strong.