Home General Fishing

Spinning Rod / Reel for Dolphin/Cobia/Tarpon

GroverGrover Posts: 64 Deckhand
So I'm looking for a spinning rod setup to use as a pitch bait rod for live and dead bait ideally i don't want to break the bank. But something that can handle fish up to around the 100lb mark

suggestions please :)

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    The new Shimano Spheros SW series is a lot of reel for the money... as are the new Cabos (or Bocas)... Alan Hawk is the Spinning Reel Guru & I'd recommend you read his reviews for 'Best Buys' (& reels to avoid)
    http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lists.html
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • FishingAddictFishingAddict Posts: 170 Deckhand
    I usually spend decent money on a baitcasting reel and rod. But when it comes to spin cast fishing, you can get away with not getting a fancy set up because the drag washers are bigger and how well it is made isn't a factor for casting.

I have an el-cheapo Eagle Claw spin reel ($35) and a cheap Silstar surf rod with 50 or 65 pound braid that I've caught tarpon to #100 pounds and a shark that was about 6 feet long. I bought it when I was in a pinch and didn't expect much from it, but it's done very well over the last three years.

I have some sort of inexpensive BPS rod that I put the reel on when I'm on a offshore boat fishing bottom (I can feel the bottom a little better with it) and it handles stuff well.But spinning reels will really wear you out on a boat when the bite is on and I'll switch to a standard reel. I keep expecting it to break so I can go buy a "nicer" reel, but at this point, if it does die, I'll probably get another one as it's way out preformed for the price.

What really surprised me is how I was able to put a hurting on the fish fairly quickly with such an inexpensive set up when you are fishing off the shore and not trying to dig a fish off the bottom. I recommend braid if you can handle it as it cast much further with it. Just make sure your rod isn't outmatched by the braid, if you go the braid route.
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 345 Deckhand
    I was considering going cheap or used for my next rig, and then I wandered into a tackle shop and handled the new Saragosa SW. **** nice feel. Not sure anymore
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Carlo wrote: »
    I was considering going cheap or used for my next rig, and then I wandered into a tackle shop and handled the new Saragosa SW. **** nice feel. Not sure anymore

a Saragosa SW 6K or 8K is at the Top of my WTB list right now... (unless I find a 'deal' on a lightly used Stella SW)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 6,013 Admiral
    I bought Saragosa 6k and, although I still have to test it on the job, I can say that it seems a very nice reel.
    Here you can found some other info.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    I bought an older version of the Penn SSV 9500 at a garage sale and it has helped me bring in a number of dolphin. New that reel is 200.00 at TackleDirect.
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    Can't go wrong with Penn spin gear in the 7500 and up series reels for a pretty reasonable price. I fish Shimano spin in everything, but would own a Penn again. I own a small Saragosa 4000 for reef, redfish, trout etc. I went a little more expensive with this reel because I used to wade a lot. It's durable, smooth, drag is second to none, and has been a great reel for a couple years now of moderate heavy use. I would not hesitate to get the 6000, 8000, and up models etc.

I also own a Thunus 8000 and a Baitrunner 8000 I primarily use for pitch reels offshore, live baiting on reef and patches, backcountry snook/tarpon etc. The baitrunner feature is invaluable to me, and both of these reels have it. It's there if you need it, and if you don't then don't use it.
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    Grover wrote: »
    So I'm looking for a spinning rod setup to use as a pitch bait rod for live and dead bait ideally i don't want to break the bank. But something that can handle fish up to around the 100lb mark

suggestions please :)
    I know that everyone has their favorites, and that my experience is limited, but here goes:
    Have used a Shimano Baitrunner 6500 for years, and it's handled tarpon upwards of 125#'s, pitched to dolphin to 40, and wahoo to 60...it's a bit worn around the edges like me, but both of us are planning to keep at it for a long time.
    Added a Saragosa 8000 a few years back, complete with matching Trevala rod and braid...great set up. I loved it on tarpon, just not quite as much as the Goliath that took the whole setup back to its home as we were unhooking it.
    Not excited about another $500 on a replacement outfit, I went with the Penn Battle and have been very pleased...maybe not the drag strength of the Saragosa, but I've now got 2 Battles for what I would pay for 1 Saragosa. ( I still have them perched on Travalas though.)
  • JackAttack24JackAttack24 Posts: 113 Officer
    I use the Shimano Baitrunner 12000D For tarpon works greats!
  • Matt1340Matt1340 Posts: 123 Deckhand
    Ive always been a fan of the penn 9500's for using live bait when catching dolphins. Not that this matters but I wouldnt use them to troll with, TLD's are the way to go, you always want that extra line on in case you hook up on a big bull.
  • Paragon1Paragon1 Posts: 510 Officer
    Saragosa 8k paired to a terez 50-80 7'2.

Nuffield said
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Penn Battle combo 5000-7000, great reel, decent rod for the price and built to last with a decent spray down after a day on the boat (all metal body) $120 out the door.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • dilligaf84dilligaf84 Posts: 876 Officer
    I use Penn Battle on Trevala rod. Have only battled AJs on it so far but its a blast to fish with.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Paragon1 wrote: »

Saragosa 8k paired to a terez 50-80 7'2.

Nuffield said

That's a good looking combo.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • LilZubeLilZube Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    ANY StCroix ROD MUST BE USED.