Home General Fishing

Trolling

minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
What would be the best rod a reel for trolling manns stretch 25s-40s that is under 250$. I would be trolling mainly for grouper maybe mackeral

Replies

• brianbbrianb Posts: 2,404 Captain
    TLD25 on whatever rod it comes with, should be able to get plenty on CL for under 200.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    TLDs are solid proven reels, but you will HATE that tiny little crank handle when constantly reeling in those plugs.

I swear the plugs themselves fight harder naked than they do with a grouper on them.

Trolling plugs is not a finesse game, a 4/0 Senator works fine. No need for lever drags when pulling those things.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,061 Moderator
    I use my TLD 20's loaded with 30# braid for trolling Stretches, just because I had them and have no other use for them since I moved to the West coast. I back the drags off a little because I need the shock release that the braid does not give me, but it gets the lures deeper. That said, I agree with tankard that a 4/0 Senator or better yet, a Daiwa 400H Sealine will do the job with no problem and you could also use it for straight bottom fishing for grouper, AJ's etc
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,404 Captain
    I upgraded all my TLD's with the alan tani handle. Usually get rod & tld20/25 reel combo on CL for 150ish, real nice ones for 165. The handle is like 35, so for 200ish you got a decent setup on a budget. And easily resold. My two cents, worth a penny.
  • minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
    What's the difference between using a star drag and a lever drag when trolling. Does it make a difference?
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,061 Moderator
    When trolling for grouper, not a lot, when trolling for pelagics, that strike fast, and run long and hard, a lever allows one to adjust the drag during the fight and come back to a known drag setting, when trying to do this with a star drag, you are only guessing about the return setting. Lots of times during the fight of a large pelagic, the drag must be backed off because as the diameter of the spool decreases as line is being taken off, the drag increases. Most people make the mistake of increasing the drag to stop a run and thus break a fish off.
  • CaribbeanCowboyCaribbeanCowboy Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    I will have to respectfully disagree... yes the lever drag is crucial for adjusting the drag mid fight but also very important when adjusting a baits length from boat when there is resistance on the bait. I agree that a tld 25 is a good buy