Soft spot in deck sole

TheHookTheHook Posts: 51 Deckhand
I have a 21Ft Wellcraft CC. Boat has developed a soft spot, about 2X2 ft around, in the left corner of where the T-top is mounted. I have only had this boat 3 years, so I am guessing whoever installed the top did not seal it properly or it just began to let water in over time.

The boat is in overall very good condition other than this. Is this worth fixing? I have read a lot of people say once you get soft spots you are better off to just cut your losses because who knows what you will find as far as other damage goes once you start pulling the deck up.

I am still trying to decide whether I would do it myself or have a fiberglass shop do it. I'm sure the difference in cost will be astronomical though.

Any tips, experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,369 Officer
    If that is the only soft place, then you're probably right in assuming that water has entered where the T-top was installed. Do you have access to the underside of the floor? Can you tell if they used plywood? They do make products to dry wood and stop the damage. But, you still have to deal with replacing the damaged underlayment.

The first thing I'd do is, remove the screws and reinstall with some sealant (not 5200). This will stop anymore water intrusion.