Home General Fishing

Kayak fishing Biscayne Bay-First time

RhysleoRhysleo Posts: 13 Deckhand
Hey all...going kayak fishing this week in Biscayne Bay. This is a first for me, usually I'm out fishing offshore. I want to catch more than just snappers, but I'm not to familiar with the inshore part of the bay. I'm planning on launching anywhere from black point up to Matheson. Should I fish canals? Mangrove shorelines? What should I look for? Any particular places you recommend I hit? Don't want to be stuck catching pinfish and small snapper. thanks guys

Replies

• superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    Nice, congrats. That area sounds like around where I fish.
    What kinda yak did ya get?
    Someone is going to tell you to post this in the paddle craft forum but i dont usually go in there so i will reply here.

Went out to BP the other morning. was foggy until like 930. pretty thick. musta been from the nuke plant. i usually go south leaving black point, work along the mangroves usually, looking for bait or wakes. its pretty shallow around there. usually head towards the islands just south. about a mile. i saw some bait moving around, caught a 2 lb jack. went on the other side of the channel, i think its moody? saw some good size bait busting, none of my casts worked. Im thinking big cudas or snook. saw a lot of cudas, lost a doa to one.
    or you can go north out of black point and usually just working the mangroves anywhere you go.
    if you have a kayak you can stand on, then its easier to kinda fish whatever, just stand up and look for pot holes cast around them.
    black point was pretty good years ago, not so much anymore. but its all about luck anyway.
    fished near chicken key the other day, had a HUGE wake follow my top water and go for it, but it seemed like only 50%. got the back hook, but it pulled. im guessing a red, or black. didnt see a fin but the wake was broad.

use google maps/earth and search around areas that you can launch by. marinas, whatever. usually working the mangroves if there are some. sometimes ill troll a live or dead bait or lure behind me if im on the move. over open water, or through channels. but thats a whole other thing.

dont forget your victory dance!
  • RhysleoRhysleo Posts: 13 Deckhand
    Awesome, I appreciate the reply. So it looks like I'll fish mangroves then. I'll report back after I head out.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Rhysleo, I'm unfamiliar with anywhere south of Matheson, so I can't help much, but read up on the threads and biscayne bay reports in the no-motor-zone subforum and maybe you will glean some useful info.
    superduper wrote: »
    What kinda yak did ya get?
    Someone is going to tell you to post this in the paddle craft forum but i dont usually go in there so i will reply here.

Aww man, I was going to move the thread to the NMZ until you said that, come on now, we are a helpful bunch, we don't bite :shrug
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • JoeBCJoeBC Posts: 608 Officer
    Lots of good water down there. Usually weekdays in the bay are much much better than weekends. If you know what you are doing you and put time in you will have chances for shots at the big 3. Cudas everywhere, snappers along the channel edges and in holes, and trout off the edge of the flats. Fishing this area requires more patience than anywhere I've fished but is the most rewarding.
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Aww man, I was going to move the thread to the NMZ until you said that, come on now, we are a helpful bunch, we don't bite :shrug

im too americanized, too many buttons to push.
    i stop by once in awhile and have a read. no offense.