Home General Fishing

SPRO Squidtail Jig

jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
I saw these jigs advertised in this month's Florida Sportsman:
SSTJW-ALL-2.jpg
https://www.spro.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=329

And then it hit me: I have a few of the bucktail jigs by this brand where the feathers have been chewed off by repeated mackerel catches, and I have seen the squid skirts for sale pretty cheap. Couldn't I make my own version of the lure pictured above?

Macgyver-version aside, do you think this new lure will work well?
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,360 Admiral
    Snapper Grouper and Aj's will jack hammer them for absolute sure. Yes you can do this yourself.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,384 Moderator
    Those things come with some sharp **** hooks on them. I have caught plenty of fish with them so I shouldn't care, but... when I hold one I always feel like it needs a wider gap. Clearly they don't, but I think I would have made them 15% wider or so.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • JaredbolenJaredbolen Posts: 45 Deckhand
    Great jigs but I gotta say I've snapped the hooks on a few big fish. Sharp, yes the are, catch everything that swims, yes they do that as well. But. Not the strongest hooks. Bomber flair hair jigs are wayyyyy stronger. And I've already replace worn out bucktail with skirts and they still catch as well!!