Home Conservation Front

Hubbard's keeping shallow water groupers outside 20 fathom mark?

JDuncanJDuncan Posts: 21 Greenhorn
There have been several posts under the west central fishing report forum of "elbow" trips, showing catches of numerous red grouper. Also have seen a few showing pics of the depth finder clearly marking deeper than 20 fathoms.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't shallow water groupers off-limits outside of 20 fathoms?

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,688 AG
    look it up.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ezpz
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • JDuncanJDuncan Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    The silence/lack of comments on this thread speaks volumes!!!!
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    JDuncan wrote: »

◾Tracy Dunn, Acting Special Agent in Charge
    ◾Jeff Radonski, Acting Deputy Special Agent in Charge
    263 13th Avenue South
    Suite 109
    St. Petersburg, FL 33701
    (727) 824-5344
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain

You have to consider the source!! It looks to me like its closed east of 20 fathoms, but what do I know?
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,678 Captain
    They are closed WEST of the 20 fathom line. So shallow water grouper species can't be taken by sport fisherman at the Elbow. Maybe the boat is part of the new pilot program and special regulations apply.
    They are closed WEST of the 20 fathom line. So shallow water grouper species can't be taken by sport fisherman at the Elbow. Maybe the boat is part of the new pilot program and special regulations apply.

Wrong
    tunaman wrote: »
    You have to consider the source!! It looks to me like its closed east of 20 fathoms, but what do I know?

Seriously
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,585 Captain
    JDuncan - why don't you call Mark Hubbard and ask him yourself? Coming onto a forum and accusing someone of illegal actions is probably not the best route to take - go to the source and ask him directly would be the best avenue to take I believe.
    Tom Hilton wrote: »
    JDuncan - why don't you call Mark Hubbard and ask him yourself? Coming onto a forum and accusing someone of illegal actions is probably not the best route to take - go to the source and ask him directly would be the best avenue to take I believe.

The pics/fishing report are doing plenty of accusing themselves. Hope this helps.
    The pics/fishing report are doing plenty of accusing themselves. Hope this helps.

No you are. if you strongly believe they have violated federal fisheries regulations. contact NOAA law enforcement at the number listed above and report it.

If you don't have the strength of conviction that they have and fear filing a false report, don't . And don't accuse them in ConFron to generate conversation and hear yourself talk.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,606 AG
    IMHYEO(stolen from Gary) Mark would be the last person I'd think didn't know the regs.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    Don't bother , Jerry. This guy is one of these,http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?77596-Charter-Fisherman-s-Association-Officers who decided to expand their campaign by joining the forum.

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,606 AG
    I Should have figured that out.
    Mark is the last person I'd of figured would skirt the regs.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,771 Captain

It sure does!!!! Especially with 420 views!!!! The volume it speaks is that most people realize that there is water deeper and shallower than 20 fathoms on both sides of that magical NMFS line approximating 20 fathoms. So pictures of a depth sounder are useless at determining where he was at.

Maybe you should go troll on a forum with a average membership dumber than you and leave us alone. You might get more bites that way, just say'in.:rotflmao
  • MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    Yeah, they could be fishing a sink or spring inside the 20 fathom line.
    Wow. We are all more stupid after reading those last two posts.
    Who is this "we", effengy?

Could your presence on this site and the timeliness of your assault in Mark Hubbard have anything to do with this?

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/elections/cd-13-republican-candidate-david-jolly-announces-plan-to-help-local/2166535

Or is your recent appearance on this site only coincidental to that of your CFA pals?

No, effen Napoleon, it has to do with a fishing report entitled "a good catch from the Florida elbow" that documents the harvest of red grouper. Not assaulting anyone; I was just wondering if they were able to keep red groupers out there. Whatever political motives you may have, knock yourself out.
    Mr. Duncan, your appearance here is false and fraudulent. You have no interest in participating as member in Florida Sportsman, but as a troll and antagonist to it's editorial position in fair and equitable access to recreational fisheries. In this you are transparent and a failure. Please report back to your handlers at EDF and request a new strategy, which we will again easily expose.

"Handlers at EDF" LOL.......nite nite
    :grin Bulls eye.

"Puppet masters" may be a more descriptive and appropriate term.

• MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    Wow. We are all more stupid after reading those last two posts.

Don't sell yourself short. You and your mouse may be most stupid.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,555 Captain
    The Florida fishes many different areas on any given trip. I titled my 3/1 report 'A good catch from the Florida Elbow' because that is the general area we fished on that day. That does not mean we were fishing inside, on, or outside 20 fathoms. When I snapped the fish finder picture we were looking for amber jacks in an area where the depth drops very suddenly. It must be remembered that the shallow water grouper closed area is determined by a giver line separating closed from open areas. Twenty fathoms is an estimate; not an exact location. As such, a GPS, not a depth finder, is needed to determine red grouper closed & open areas.
    Untitled_zpsb54604de.jpg
    And that settles that.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    And that settles that.

Next case. court-judge-smiley-emoticon.gif

• EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    Mr. Duncan, your appearance here is false and fraudulent. You have no interest in participating as member in Florida Sportsman, but as a troll and antagonist to it's editorial position in fair and equitable access to recreational fisheries. In this you are transparent and a failure. Please report back to your handlers at EDF and request a new strategy, which we will again easily expose.

He'll catch you every time - he IS the Czar - honest he will catch you and any of your little crony's in a matter minutes - he's really fricck'in smart - wonder if that sneaks part the censor's lol
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    appears it did yippee
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
    Hello Dixon. Don't be a stranger.