Home Photography Corner

From camera to paper

Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
A just for fun thread showing a transition from photo to pastel. If anyone uses an original image to create art in a different medium, I'd love to see 'em.
(disclaimer - I am a hobbyist only, not an 'artist', so my attempts are usually a variation of one or even several photographic images rather than precise copies)

First few attempts - Puerto Rico

Same scene, different angle.
I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

Replies

• mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    'Lady,

very good work...

kind of the way my wife and Stig do their work with their own special spin....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    Thanks mac. A couple more...this came about because I am finally organizing my photos into folders...it's taking many hours. The plan is to create a child's book for our soon-to-arrive first grandchild. They live about 900 miles away, so I thought a story book featuring the baby's Florida family would be a good way for us (great grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc) to become familiar between visits.
    So in the process of organizing I finally put some images together with the pastels rendered from them. This is the first time I've seen them together for comparison.
    btw - I'm using Shutterfly (a newbie) to create the book...any tips and/or suggestions will be appreciated.

an Abacos beach

Bar Harbor

Friends place in Costa Rica, the pastel was a gift to them for letting us spend a glorious couple of weeks there.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

'Lady,

the first painting is incredible...
    not that the other images aren't good...but the first reached out and grabbed me...
    you rendered the sky perfectly...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • PP1PP1 Posts: 332 Deckhand
    Wow......that really is a neat talent to have. While precise copies are neat, I like the artistic touches you put in these.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Nice work Grady Lady. Pastel, acrylic.....?

Jennifer did these from two of my photos: 32" by 52", or so. Chalk pastel on masonite. I will have to dig for the original photos.

xlmtcKQl.jpg
    Craig,

Jennifer did these from two of my photos: 32" by 52", or so. Chalk pastel on masonite. I will have to dig for the original photos.

xlmtcKQl.jpg

don't you love being part of the "process"....

i know i do...

your art becomes so much bigger and inspirational....

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    PP1 wrote: »
    Wow......that really is a neat talent to have. While precise copies are neat, I like the artistic touches you put in these.

Thank you!

It's fun, but can also be a little frustrating...few turn out as good as I would like.

xlmtcKQl.jpg

Mine are soft pastels on dry media paper. Most are 12x16. The one mac likes, the only one I've named (Lonely Beach) is on 16x24. Framing is an issue...major expense, especially with matting and non-glare glass which pastels on paper really should have.

Masonite, huh? I'll have to try it.

I am a big admirer of Jennifer's work, so glad that you posted those. She's inspiring! :)

Grady-lady wrote: »
    Mine are soft pastels on dry media paper. Most are 12x16. The one mac likes, the only one I've named (Lonely Beach) is on 16x24. Framing is an issue...major expense, especially with matting and non-glare glass which pastels on paper really should have.

I am a big admirer of Jennifer's work, so glad that you posted those. She's inspiring! :)

Jennifer says thank you and to give masonite a try after an application of gesso.

Also, it is stupid what framing costs. STUPID! Did I say stupid, yet?
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,991 Admiral
    Nice work!

I could not draw, paint or scribble a photo to save my life.

Except with a computer, perhaps...
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
    Grady-lady wrote: »

My late FIL, James McConnel Anderson, used masonite for his work which was mostly oils....
    i used to help him cut sheets for his projects which had already roughed in in water colors or just pen and inks...
    he did a lot of large images...24x36 or a little larger...he did not matte his images...just framed them....
    he made his own frames too...

Some of his work can be seen at the neil auction fine art site at the new orleans location...
    you might want to look there...both he and his brother Walter have work on display....

by the way...i like all your images...but "lonely beach" just speaks to me...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
    My late FIL, James McConnel Anderson, used masonite for his work which was mostly oils....
    i used to help him cut sheets for his projects which had already roughed in in water colors or just pen and inks...
    he did a lot of large images...24x36 or a little larger...he did not matte his images...just framed them....
    he made his own frames too...

Some of his work can be seen at the neil auction fine art site at the new orleans location...
    you might want to look there...both he and his brother Walter have work on display.......

Wow!! I did look him up...What an honor to be part of such a talented renowned family!! I read that much of his work was damaged or destroyed by Katrina. The name Anderson is vaguely familiar. Did he by any chance sell numbered and signed prints of some of his work, especially wildlife or wading birds?
    by the way...i like all your images...but "lonely beach" just speaks to me...

Lonely Beach is the only (and will remain the only) pastel I've had professionally framed. No matting, a simple 'driftwood' frame and none-glare glass....cost $178.00. Mr gl offered to learn how to make frames, but some artist friends told me that getting the glass and making your own mats is not all that inexpensive either. For the smaller pastels I bought a bunch of wooden frames with mats and glass (not non-glare) from a craft shop that went out of business.

I'm going to try the Masonite. I'd like to stick with the soft pastels, I like the mess they make on my hands. :) But I don't think there's any way I can avoid covering them with glass. I tried a spray fixative but found that it dulls the colors somewhat.

Correct. Glass only. No fixative. Jennifer and I have conducted a copious amount of experiments trying to find a "fixer" for pastels. Our conclusion is there are none, much to Jennifer's chagrin. Our experiments continue as ideas pop up but after many tries I am not optimistic. If you want details, PM me. I am sure the experimentation is beyond the scope of this thread.