Home Fly Fishing

Budget outfit around $100

lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 338 Deckhand
Been fishing since I was able to, mostly offshore or shallow bottom fishing, lately though I have gotten a 17' Aquasport and I'm just finishing up on putting a trolling motor on it. Gonna be using it for a lot of bass fishing and some flamingo fishing.

So to have a little more fun I'm looking at getting a budget friendly( around $100) fly rod to see if I like it. Seeing how I know nothing about fly fishing other than a 15 minute session with a guide in my back yard on my dads fly rod. I figured an outfit would save some time on setup. I want something to last at least a year, and have found Redington Crosswater outfits just north of $100. Anything else I'm missing around this range.

I think I have figured it out to a 8wt as a good starting point.

Replies

• Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    To "see if you like it," couldn't you borrow dad's outfit? (assuming it's a decent setup) If you don't like it, then you still have $100. If you DO like it, then you really owe it to yourself to spend a little more and get something decent that will not let you down under pressure (no pun intended) and possibly cause you to then not like fly fishing. Bad equipment can accentuate your errors and you'll have plenty of those to begin with. Start looking on eBay now for a decent reel. You should be able to pick up a good used one for $100-200. Then look for a decent used rod. The Redington you found is a decent rod and for trout, snook and redfish, you don't need much of a drag or a lot of backing. Other rods would be St. Croix, and even Cortland's Sapphire (???) series wasn't bad for a beginner, if you can find one of those. Maybe TFO has an entry level rod that would suit your needs. If it's $150 new, you can probably get a like-new one on eBay for less than $100. Be careful when buying rods on e-Bay..... little flaws are/can be undetectable in the photos and can still cause a rod to break under normal use. It's best if you can go and see a rod for yourself, and then really examine it carefully.
    .......Rick
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    life,

Your not going to find anything good for $100.00, mostly junk. However if you decide you like fly fishing, you will gradually keep buying better and better equipment.

I personally hate casting some buggy whip of a rod, I would feel real sorry for a new guy trying to learn the trade with junk.

If you decide fly fishing isn't for you and before you give up, make sure you go to a good fly shop and cast a few top end rods.....you might change your mind. my 2 cents

Carl
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Life, Carl and PR speak from years of experience. Some of the best advice you could get is written above.
    life,

Your not going to find anything good for $100.00, mostly junk. However if you decide you like fly fishing, you will gradually keep buying better and better equipment.

I personally hate casting some buggy whip of a rod, I would feel real sorry for a new guy trying to learn the trade with junk.

If you decide fly fishing isn't for you and before you give up, make sure you go to a good fly shop and cast a few top end rods.....you might change your mind. my 2 cents

Carl

Oh Gawd.......I read that and a chill went down my spine.....just thinking about having to use something like that........ugh.

Yeah.....A faster fly rod is a little more unforgiving, while you are learning, but I think it is in your best interest to get used to it now, while you're still young and fresh. You definitely won't regret it later. Join a fly fishing club and get help from a proficient caster. DO NOT ask casting questions here or watch a bunch of casting videos on YouTube. The latter may show you the correct technique, but without someone watching you, how will you know if you're doing it correctly? It's been said a million times here: It is far easier to correct mistakes before they become bad habits, than it is to correct a bad habit.
    .......Rick
  • DKDDKD Posts: 375 Deckhand
    There is an old saying that "I am too poor to buy cheap things" and I think there is often a lot of truth to it. Trying to save money by getting the cheapest item often ends up costing you more in the long run. It sounds like your dad fly fishes. Can you borrow his rod? Otherwise take some casting lessons at your local fly shop - they are often free. I am not advocating buying the latest and greatest Sage or Loomis on the market, but there are a number of really good fly rods in the $200-250 range that you won't outgrow. Also with the slightly more expensive rods, you usually get a lifetime warranty. The rod basically pays for itself the first time you break it.
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 338 Deckhand
    We'll I went and looked at his rod and reel and their world wide sportsman gold cups. Not gonna borrow his stuff on the water without him, it leads an easier life for me. I don't have the money to spend $300 dollars on a setup to start with, I have caught small dolphin on his setup , but that was more like drop the fly in the water, and personally I'd rather chance breaking a $100 setup than one worth more than I could afford to fix at a given time. I understand that the drag and what not is gonna be smooth, or last under the pressures of a 30 pound tarpon, but I would like to give a shot at bass and smaller flamingo fish.

I understand the spend money for quality but the sad part is I have cheap diawa I got for for under $25 new and spent more on braided line to use while on vacation 5 years ago, and I will pick it up before I touch the $200 combo next to it. But I know it's flaws and I haven't lost a single fish due to the cheap drag or sketch Chinese put together.

But maybe I have no idea yet the differences between a good and cheap rod are, I started searching the redington stuff because it was mentioned in another thread is the pursuit that much better, than the crosswater series or do I just need to start inviting friends that have fly rods to let me gain some time behind the fly while they drink my beer?

Dad does not fly fish, on a regular basis I think twice in the past three years and surprisingly there's no fly shops around here.
    Life.....don't be suckered in by the outward appearances of a new Gold Cup reel. About 3 weeks ago, I discovered that I had one. I don't remember how I got it, or where. Like, maybe it was a door prize or something, from years ago. But it was new in the box, so I took it out and examined it and I don't think it would last a fly fisherman a year, with just normal maintenance. Point is, that for the exact same money that a Gold Cup costs, you can get a slightly used reel that is 3 times better.

You're right. If you are to be fishing fresh water bass and the salt water species around Flamingo, you could use almost anything. Fishing around mangroves or any other structure, and you'll find you are better off not using the reel at all. You'll be stripping the fish all the way to the boat. Out in the open is a different story, but like I said before, none of the species common to that area are going to take much drag from you, so your drag is inconsequential. What I and others were referring to, concerning reels, was that for a little more money, you might be able to step into a used reel, the quality of which would allow you to target bonefish, permit and other species as well. But that is up to you.

For your rod, I personally would advise you to stay away from the more parabolic rods. Sorry, I can't name the companies that make them, because I never have anything to do with them. Something in the medium-fast range would be more suitable for your level of expertise. I suggest you go to eBay and create a fly rod "search" that you can save. Look for makers like Temple Fork, St. Croix, Cortland (Diamond and Sapphire models) Redington, etc. Then once a week, go to eBay and see what's available. You have time....use it.
    .......Rick
  • kbkeyskbkeys Posts: 691 Officer
    Look at some of the entry level outfits from LL Bean. They're perfect for what they are...entry level. Plus they are terrific with service!
    KB.....Would one of their (say) 8 wt. rods be stiff (fast) enough? Bean caters a lot to fresh water people and in a rod like that, you'd be talking fresh water bass and at times, having to push out flies like a deer hair mouse or frog. These usually call for a more parabolic action to the rod. I don't know here, I am just asking. Otherwise, Bean would be a very good idea.
    .......Rick
  • dogman18dogman18 Posts: 359 Deckhand
    Reddington Crosswater outfit. I had a guide in St. Pete offer to buy mine after he cast it. Shot all the line out and said it was a good one. Cabellas is where I got it from. A poor craftsman blames his tools.
    “There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.”
    ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Well I guess I'm a little hard headed, I skipped on the crosswater by redington, only because I chose the pursuit by redington, after reading many reviews I think it's gonna be a good start for me. I got it for pretty close to my original budget, and it should be here in a week or so hoping to start practicing when I get it and start fishing for bass until I plan a trip to flamingo.

Any recommendations on a couple flies for largemouth bass.

Here is a link, I went with the 9ft 8wt saltwater in a 4 piece.
    http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-outfits/pursuit/
    We'll it finally showed up, looks to be great quality put together real smooth and came back apart without a fuss. The carrying case is a lot nicer than I thought it was gonna be to, it's a hard plastic case with different sleeves for each piece and the outside is covered with stitched nylon. Gonna take it in the yard later today and get some practice down for the weekend.

CA0C45D8-549D-492B-999A-50BAADBC29F0.jpg

B059AD24-1380-42B8-A601-F7E3A202B2FA.jpg
  • redheadredhead Posts: 120 Officer
    Congrats. That will do you fine. Just rinse it after use in the salt. Welcome to the addiction.
  • kbkeyskbkeys Posts: 691 Officer
    Just an FYI, their service is top notch, just had my broken S4 replaced with a new Redington Voyant for $30, turnaround 5 days!
  • AmuricanAmurican Posts: 168 Officer
    Nice purchase, stick with it.

Disregard the picture, I didn't see you ordered the redington before posting it.
    Fly fishing isn't just a hobby, it's a passion.
  • spydermonkeyspydermonkey Posts: 765 Officer
    I recently got the pursuit also. pretty good in my opinion ( I am a beginner like you so my opinion isnt worth as much as most of these guys) I have yet to catch anything other than a few small bass on it but hope to over spring break. The only complaint I have is part of the cork where my thumb goes is wearing down (could be to me not casting right). other than that I love it and heard if the rod breaks they send you a new one for pretty much nothing! Rub some WD40 on the guides and parts of the reel to keep rust and other junk away.
    "Insert intelligent sounding quote here"
    lifegoeson wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a couple flies for largemouth bass.

Your bass flies will depend a lot on where you're fishing for them.....how deep the water, color, clarity, etc. Best to ask some locals who fish the same waters. JMHO
    .......Rick
    Yep the lifetime warranty on the rod is nice, will let the girlfriend try it out now. I gotten pretty good with it in backyard, work is killing me on fishing time though. I have some nice little poppers, that hopefully will pull some bass off ledges. All of my bass fishing is done at Aerojet canal it's not too murky but weeds galore I'm waiting for the fish to transition and then bed, and might make a trip to okeechobee later this year.
  • remel1993remel1993 Posts: 536 Officer
    I purchased the $100 White River Dogwood Canyon fly outfit as my 2nd combo. I began with the cheap $40 walmart combo. I had to return it because of the ****ty quality and to prevent future regrets. So far the dogwood canyon is great. I just hope it keeps strong when I use it on the beaches.
    If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life
  • price13price13 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I would 100 percent upgrade and get a buelah fly rod for just a touch more. Will be a lot more enjoyable. Then you can save money and buy awesome flies here http://www.theflystop.com/ and go to crags list for used gear.