All this turkey talk......

I'm excited! always like seeing new property, expecially property managed like this and not hunted alot.

Jordon's friendboy somehow has an in at the Beau Turner facility and invited Jaden to go on a youth hunt on Mar 8th. I get to tag along too. You know I won't send my girl out in the woods with a boy, neither of them :wink There will be a few other youths hunting as well. Supper Fri night and hunt Sat morning. She has never killed a turkey and only been once last year but has shot the combo several times and I fell she can get it done.. She is showing more intrest this year in it so I'm going to take her Sun morning too at another place. I like the youth season being before the regular season so the kids can hunt birds that haven't been messed with yet.

She'll be shootin an 870 20g with a snood smasher turkey choke and Winchester 3" #5 beak buster turkey loads.

Pssstt- don't try to google the choke or shells, you won't find them. They are a secrete :grin
Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

Replies

• BigTimeBigTime Posts: 606 Officer
    Very nice. Best of luck to her.
    final.png
    Frank @ 954-815-9463
    Big Time Outdoors
    Facebook
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    Those shells & that choke suck! You should be ashamed of introducing her to the sport with inferior gear. Cheap bastage!

Best put them legless crickets in close!
  • Tide-DancerTide-Dancer Posts: 1,347 Officer
    O' I thought this was a 101 tread.:grin
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,593 AG
    ducknfish wrote: »
    Best put them legless crickets in close!

:grin
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • BigTimeBigTime Posts: 606 Officer
    micci_man wrote: »

Sssshhhhhh!!!! :rotflmao
    final.png
    Frank @ 954-815-9463
    Big Time Outdoors
    Facebook
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,476 Captain
    good for you and Jaden.supposed to be a sweet place.point of reference,that is TED'S place.say what you want,Beau is doing something neat by having kids,who otherwise would not be exposed to outdoors(fishing and hunting)out there.shoot if Jaden gets a bird she might make tv show,think it is still being done.it is still to cold for Montana,Ted might show up.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,175 Admiral
    Heck, I had an old High Standard riot gun with sites that would hold a heck of a pattern for about 100 feet. Anyone ever hunt with a riot gun? Short and easy to swing around............just sayin
    They were cheap and worked fine..........never had one (owned 5) fail in any way. Googled them but can not find a full choke. I knew the gun shop owner very well where we bought them and he assured me my favorite one was a full choke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVCovCLMf1k

On a serious note, while you are there would you ask them if they need volunteers for future events.
  • KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 998 Officer
    Awesome Tommy....good luck to you all on Saturday! Looking forward to the pics. Shot, hunting out at Beau Turner's for a your hunt is about as good as it gets; does your daughter know how SWEET that place is? My neighbor got to take his daughter out there for a deer either sex youth hunt this season and he said there were more birds on the field then he's ever seen in his life; including on any t.v. show he's ever watched. I'm happy for you and a wee bit jealous at the same time.

On a side note, make sure that boy puts a good shine on your barrel at the end of the day. I don't think cleaning your gun in front of him is going to make an impact, but he may be a little surprised if you ask HIM to do it, haha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!
    I like that idea Justin!

I will Tyler.

I'm going to be with them on the hunt ferris. I'm thinking about taking a video camera but I'm not sure if I can run it and coach/sit with her at the same time.

Thanks for the well wish's everyone :beer
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,745 Captain
    That's great! I look forward to reading the report and seeing pictures.
    Proverbs 13:3
    Good luck Tommy...... being a father is the greatest thing in life..........but being a grandfather is easier.
    Looks like Sat AM is gonna be the first day in several that these birds wake up with a dry back & a cool blue sky. Y'all could be in for a stellar hunt. Good luck to the kids.
  • line dancerline dancer Posts: 233 Deckhand
    Good luck to her tommy hope she has a great hunt.
    Thanks everyone and good luck to all of the other kids hunting this weekend. We are both excited

The hunt isn't as I thought. You don't hunt on the BT property. There is a $50 entry fee and you enter in 1 of 4 catagories, basiclly a contest. I'm not keen on hunting contests involving kids but I'm not worried about Jaden thinking that's what hunting is all about. You hunt where ever you want (legally of course) and bring your bird to the BT facility to check in. We will be hunting some property that I have never been on so I'm looking forward to that. The hunt will be a success to me either way, bird or no bird. Being out there when the woods wake up with one of my kids is always a blessing.
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 633 Officer
    Good luck Micci and Jaden! Always fun with the kids, especially in the woods.
  • bottomtimebottomtime Posts: 332 Deckhand
    Thanks everyone and good luck to all of the other kids hunting this weekend. We are both excited

The hunt isn't as I thought. You don't hunt on the BT property. There is a $50 entry fee and you enter in 1 of 4 catagories, basiclly a contest. I'm not keen on hunting contests involving kids but I'm not worried about Jaden thinking that's what hunting is all about. You hunt where ever you want (legally of course) and bring your bird to the BT facility to check in. We will be hunting some property that I have never been on so I'm looking forward to that. The hunt will be a success to me either way, bird or no bird. Being out there when the woods wake up with one of my kids is always a blessing.

Bait and switch!

Almost like a legless cricket on a jerk line.

I'm still envious of you. Gonna be a few more years before I try turkeys with my boys. Oldest one is good in the deer stand, but I don't quite think he is ready for sitting still enough for turkeys on the ground.
    Didn't get a bird but we had a great time! Three birds gobbling on the roost and 2 were about a 100 yds away. Had a hen come looking for us after flydown and then went back into the swamp. After 40 min and the turkeys going away from us we skirted inside the swamp and fournd them. @ strutters and 6 hens so we thought. At one point one gobbler was about 40 but Jaden nor Nick could see him. I was standing looking over a rise and they were kneeling. 30 min later they folled the hens off so we tried to get in front of them and that;s when we busted about 25 hens that we never knew were there...... Spent the rest of the morning trying to strike a bird with no luck.

We jumped a huge 10 pt at about 25 yds that was bedded and watched him run about 100 yds. He had it all, mass, width and tall, Stud!! Also had 4 does feed by at another setup about 60 yds away.. I think 40 kids entered and only 4 killed birds. Most didn't even hear or see a turkey. It was a cold 36* at first light. Jaden rated the hunt a 10 and that's all that matters to me. We'll try again very soon.
  • D DayD Day Posts: 84 Deckhand

We jumped a huge 10 pt at about 25 yds that was bedded and watched him run about 100 yds. He had it all, mass, width and tall, Stud!! Also had 4 does feed by at another setup about 60 yds away.. I think 40 kids entered and only 4 killed birds. Most didn't even hear or see a turkey. It was a cold 36* at first light. Jaden rated the hunt a 10 and that's all that matters to me. We'll try again very soon.

Wow. Sounds like a great hunt !
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,125 Captain
    Did some scouting this morning and talked to another hunter with his son. Only heard 3 birds this morning for sure. Between the three they didn't gobble more than 3 times. Will be taking Mason to listen tomorrow.

Sounds like Jaden had a good morning.
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    This is what matters. And the time spent together.

What he said.
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,476 Captain
    x2.saw big flock,maybe 10 birds,doing our shuttle yesterday in Blueridge.big gobbler struttin and keeping hens herded.in small hay field next to road.he be in hiding about middle week.