Home Tropics

Bringing fish back from Panama

MGDMGD Posts: 1,159 Officer
Thinking about bringing some yellowfin back. Curius what others have done and additional costs you may have encountered.

Flying American to Panama City and then Air Panama to David.
Thanks
LT

Replies

• CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    My method for guests in the bahamas has been to freeze as cold as possible. Wrap in muliple bags. Then wrap laundry around to act as insulation. Works for the short hop back stateside and even as far as return to New York area with quick connection... Not sure flight times and layovers on your route. My mate has checked hard sided rolling cooler before (50qt) class jammed and it was like $100 extra...
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,106 Officer
    Get a freezer/cooler bag . They weigh less then 2pounds. I'm talking about the ones food manufacture sales reps use to carry samples. I take 2 every year to Wisconsin on my hunting trips and they come back with 50-60# of venison in each one. Flights are 6-7 hrs from freezer to freezer and the meat doesn't suffer at all.
    Google polar bear soft cooler- 24pack or 48pack size is more or less what we do
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Get a freezer/cooler bag . They weigh less then 2pounds. I'm talking about the ones food manufacture sales reps use to carry samples. I take 2 every year to Wisconsin on my hunting trips and they come back with 50-60# of venison in each one. Flights are 6-7 hrs from freezer to freezer and the meat doesn't suffer at all.

Where do u get these?
    Those polar bear are pretty steep for a one time trip.

So additional costs is just whatever the airline charges fo checked bags?
    You can carry it on. I think international flights charges for carry ons on the way back. Look on eBay for these style coolers.
  • sapelosonsapeloson Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Just carried a 65 Yeti down and back. Checked as luggage, no problem. The problem was the ability to "vac-pack". Couldn't find a place anywhere between Golfito and Quepos..... we knew we could get it done at Los Suenos but never made it back there......Should have taken my vac packer also....... you can freeze almost anywhere ie) motel room with fridge......

Pix to follow.....