Home Fly Fishing

EP Fibers Question

AmuricanAmurican Posts: 168 Officer
Anyone have trouble getting EP baitfish to sink? Does less material make it sink faster? It takes a couple strips for my baitfish to sink.
Fly fishing isn't just a hobby, it's a passion.

Replies

• greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 850 Officer
    You probably have too much material on your baitfish. It can be really easy to add to much material when using EP fiber. Take out a clump that you think is right then use half that amount next time.
  • sunflowersunflower Posts: 565 Officer
    I agree completely with Greenie. He is quoting Enrico: "take what you think is the right amount, then use half of that." If you test your flies in water, you will find many sink very poorly.

In fact, that is one of my main thoughts when I see photos of flies tied, especially on this forum. People make these perfect, fat-bodied flies that look awesome on the vice. I doubt they sink. Many don't have lead-eyes, just stick-ons, and I guess they rely on the weight of the hook (or intermediate line) to sink.

I made of bunch of perfect, mullet-looking flies with big fat bodies like hotdogs when I first started tying with EP fibers. They were perfect. I tossed them in a pool and they sat on top like a noodle float. Now I tie them very sparsly indeed, and use lead-eyes a lot.

None of these are worth using.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• AmuricanAmurican Posts: 168 Officer
    I agree that I see a bunch of huge flies, but I have a few actual EP flies that are tied with the same amount as mine and they sink fine. Does adding lead coil or eyes hurt the action?
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    Funny, those look exactly like the ones I tried tying. (using congo hair) I'm about to give it another try on a smaller scale and really keep them sparse.

Got any tips for how to keep them looking nice? I made the mistake of letting a couple get too close to each other and they destroyed themselves. They won't survive a trip through the washer/dryer either. =)
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    beyondhelp wrote: »
    Funny, those look exactly like the ones I tried tying. (using congo hair) I'm about to give it another try on a smaller scale and really keep them sparse.

Got any tips for how to keep them looking nice? I made the mistake of letting a couple get too close to each other and they destroyed themselves. They won't survive a trip through the washer/dryer either. =)

I'm by no means an expert, but I heard Congo Hair is real hard to take care of. People say take a comb fishing with you. Just what I've heard.
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    Yeah I could see that. I just thought it was me. I can't claim that I am too gentle with my flies.
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Made a lot thinner. We'll see if that makes this guy sink quicker.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,383 Captain
    You can tie them as thick/sparse as you like, provided they're trimmed up accordingly. I stack ep like deer hair, and they track beautifully.
    ODC,

Do the real tight mullet flies you make sink good? They look sick either way.
    I think tightness and material are probably significant. I think ODC ties flies with tight-packed hair, and they probably are a lot more dense and sink faster than my flies, which were fluffy and tied with EP fibers. The EP fibers hold a lot of air, and also dry out very quickly on the false cast.

Actually, re-reading his post, he does use EP. He might succeed by taking the OPPOSITE approach. Using a LOT more material and packing the fibers so tight they don't hold air and float.
    Mark

Amurican wrote: »
    ODC,

Do the real tight mullet flies you make sink good? They look sick either way.

They suspend, but you have to smack them around a bit first. Notice how short the material is near the eye.

IMG_0444_zpsc018a6d6.jpg
    sunflower wrote: »
    I think tightness and material are probably significant. I think ODC ties flies with tight-packed hair, and they probably are a lot more dense and sink faster than my flies, which were fluffy and tied with EP fibers. The EP fibers hold a lot of air, and also dry out very quickly on the false cast.

Actually, re-reading his post, he does use EP. He might succeed by taking the OPPOSITE approach. Using a LOT more material and packing the fibers so tight they don't hold air and float.

They really aren't that tight, and they get trimmed very close to the hook shank. The top is tied in slightly thicker than the bottom, and when I use urethane (liquid fusion) to cover the eyes, it saturates the thickest part of the head. You still need to use relatively heavy hooks, and beat them up a little before they track well. Here's a synthetic baitfish that requires no trimming, and sinks pretty quick. It's called a hoo fly, and it was originated by Jonny King. It holds it's shape a little better than EP, and depending on what material is used for the tail, more movement. This one is senyo laser dub, arctic fox, and ice dub shimmer fringe, with a dab of liquid fusion. Took maybe 3 minutes to tie.

WP_20140224_003_zps2eb867a9.jpg
  • Snookslayer772Snookslayer772 Posts: 170 Officer
    I second odc. When the material is packed tight I have no problem with getting my flies down.
  • catch itcatch it Posts: 136 Officer
    WP_20140224_003_zps2eb867a9.jpg

SBS for this one ODC?
    Not right this minute, but sure.
    Is it normal with these baitfish that flare out on your cast. Mine look like a bad hair day after a false cast or two.
    EP fiber flies do tangle a lot. He suggests carrying a comb with you and combing them straight every few casts or fish. Pulling the knots out tends to make the flies more and more wispy until I throw them out for a new one. They still last longer than marabou for me, shorter than deer hair.

Mark