Home Fly Fishing

target Reds / Trout

HookIHookI Posts: 105 Deckhand
I want to target reds / trout the last week in Feb. I know sometimes other species are in the area. Using the 8w ( floating or tropical ) line . I want to throw, shrimp, crab , clouser minnows ,
In fear of bite offs what do you recommend as my leader - tippet ? Thanks Hook I

Replies

• Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Just me, but I do not use any kind of shock tippet when fishing redfish or trout. Redfish do not have teeth, and trout just have mostly a big canine tooth, but these teeth are pointy yet round. They won't cut your leader like a shark or mackerel's teeth will do. Oh....I believe my leaders taper down to about 8-10 lb.
    .......Rick
  • sonnysonny Posts: 283 Officer
    I just use straight 8-10 lb test no leader for reds and trout.
  • sunflowersunflower Posts: 565 Officer
    I agree that "bite-offs" are a non-issue. People only use flourocarbon leader because it is stronger and less visible.

Do you mean break-offs? In that case I would probably suggest 20-pound leader serves almost every open-bay situation. You might want heavier if you are working near pilings or mangroves, or hoping for a snook.
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    It may be worth considering putting something around 17# just so that you dont have to changeout or retie due to slight abrasion which you will experience if hooked well inside the mouth.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,064 Officer
    12-17# tippet is what I usually use. Reds and trout will more likely be on open flats so break off structure shouldn't be an issue.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • AmuricanAmurican Posts: 168 Officer
    I use a 10' 10-12# tapered leader and about 18"-24" fluoro tippet 10#-12#. I tie the tippet with a loop to loop so I can change it if I hit a school of ladyfish or something.
    Fly fishing isn't just a hobby, it's a passion.
  • HookIHookI Posts: 105 Deckhand
    Amurican wrote: »
    I use a 10' 10-12# tapered leader and about 18"-24" fluoro tippet 10#-12#. I tie the tippet with a loop to loop so I can change it if I hit a school of lady fish or something.

i was on the Trout so all worked well. what was nosing the shore line were sheepheads with no luck on the crap presentation the they were spooked

On the beach side there were A LOT of ladies & Mackerel so I went up to 25-30 floro thanks for the reply's guys