cleaning my bildge area

easydayseasydays Posts: 36 Greenhorn
Need to work on one of my live well pumps but my bilge pump area is pretty scummy. What is the best way to scrub this area. Can you take a pressure water at low rpm and blast it after treating with some Simple Green?

Replies

• hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,193 Officer
    I use a few different things. For a degreaser, I used something called greased lightening but I suppose any gentle degreaser will do. I would be careful about the purple cleaner as it can be a little strong. Spray it on, let it sit and hose off with a standard nozzle. Repeat if necessary. Sometimes I will mix a cup of Dawn in a five gallon bucket and pour it in the bilge and drive (disable the bilge pumps or somebody's gonna be pissed!) then drain appropriately.

Finally for mildew or a final freshening, I will spray Tilex, bleach, Bleche-White, or X-14 and let it set for a few minutes, then rinse. I don't like to let the bleach sit on the wires or pumps for very long, so if necessary I will do a couple of applications and rinse very well after the final time. Then I just keep it clean. A small head mop on a long enough handle will help if you need it.

When I was cleaning out the boat center console Saturday, I discovered that a gallon of Optimax oil had broke open and greased up everything and drained into my nice clean bilge. Gonna have to do it all over again.

:banghead

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: www.neflbaitco-op.com

2013 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,373 Officer
    I use Clorox Cleaner with Bleach. Comes in a 32 oz. bottle. It's a good cleaner and contains some bleach. Get yourself a toilet bowl brush and go to town.
  • easydayseasydays Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    Thanks Hossmoss for the great tips.
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 495 Deckhand
    Throw a bar of soap in there every now and then-
  • Reel4ReelReel4Reel Posts: 438 Deckhand
    I would use one Orange degreaser... plug it, add some water, add one quart of the degreaser. disable the pumps for awhile and drive it. then activate the pumps and let it flow out. The pumps are just as full of the crud as the rest of it if they have been partially submerged. Tilex Root Mold Remover is awesome. spray, sit for 5 min and spray off. I also use a wide spray on my pressure washer in there to get to where I don't reach.
  • dwyermwdwyermw Posts: 336 Deckhand
    spend $2 and buy No scrub - soft scrub. Works perfectly!! At walmart
    2009 Skeeter ZX2250 current
    2007 Sea Hunt 220 Triton (sold)
    Skeeter ZX24V, 300 HP Yamaha (sold)
    1890 SE Action Craft, 175 HP Evinrude Ficht (sold)
    Hewes Tailfisher (sold)
    Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5
  • BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 515 Officer
    ...or dump a 32 oz bottle of Star brite Bilge Cleaner (pine, Citrus or regular) into the bilge via the anchor locker, run the boat for an hour or so and pump it out.
  • mtfreezermtfreezer Posts: 30 Deckhand
    I would not bring clorox anywhere near anything metal, cables, connections. Highly corrosive.
  • GotTarponGotTarpon Posts: 158 Deckhand
    ...or dump a 32 oz bottle of Star brite Bilge Cleaner (pine, Citrus or regular) into the bilge via the anchor locker, run the boat for an hour or so and pump it out.

I would add to this that the bilge pump might pump it right out. What I have done in the past was do this on the way to or from a long trailer trip with the bilge pump disconnected form battery. This has typically been done on a purchase of a new boat. As I keep the bilge very clean.

I purchased a 26 regulator a few years ago that had a nasty bilge. Through a few bottles of cleaner in there a few gallons of water and drove the boat home for 5 hours on the trailer. it worked very well and you should of saw the crap that came out of there. Amazing
  • BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 515 Officer
    Guys, the simple fact is that we own boat and we use our products on them. They HAVE to work or we whine like little girls to the chemist who rolls his eyes as he dials up the blueberry scent.

Yeah, you Could get crawl down into the bilge with a scrub brush, if you are dwarf with really long arms and a lot of spare time. Or, you could use one of our bilge cleaners as directed and have the entire process be as simple as humanly possible yet still extremely effective.

Bleach? Leave it in the laundry room or your wife will kick your butt! If it was truly the Super Wonderful Clean All Product some guys make it out to be, we'd use it in every SB product., it is Not, so we do not. It's super cheap, so if it was great, we'd be using it literally by the railcarful, but there are many reasons not to use it. We're not gonna go through all that again here.
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Don't use a pressure washer in your bilge. You'll splatter all that nasty crap all over the place. Get yourself a toilet-bowl brush and if you have to duct-tape a piece of PVC to the handle to make it longer. Several members have suggested various cleaners and I'm sure they will work to various degrees, but nothing will clean a nasty bilge like a toilet brush.

Like I said in my first post, I use Clorox Cleaner with Bleach. It's not straight Clorox. It's a detergent with some bleach/Clorox.
    DSC09123_zps09c902e8.jpg
  • Capt.MattCapt.Matt Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    GO to Dollar Tree store. Awesome is the name Comes in a pint bottle with a sprayer and sometimes they have the Quart size re-fill with no sprayer. Your choice. Just a buck. Smells like Spray 9 only a whole lot cheaper
    Capt.Matt Kliminski USCG Licensed Captain
    Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse
    Wenzel 14' skiff w/63 Rude 18hp Fastwin
    Proud Sponsor on NJ Saltwater Fisherman.com
    Owner of Task Marine Mobile Marine Service