Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Taking grandchildren fishing need help

I'm taking the two 8 year olds fishing out of Simmons on Saturday. I'm going to stop and buy some shrimp any suggestions where I should go to keep them catching fish? Don't care what they catch as long as they catch fish.
Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk

Replies

• cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    Just float the grass flats in 3-5 feet with a shrimp on the bottom and one under a popping cork. Whatever way catches a fish is the way to fish that day. If you catch pinfish, steak them and let it sit on the bottom.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 568 Officer
    Thanks CPR any suggestions on which flats are producing. When I fish Artie's with the wife I move a lot cockroach inside and out little cockroach, and the flats outside Simmons. The kids don't like run and fish, they just want catch
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    You know CRB, it's not far from EGS, fish where you know. Maybe get some frozen chum, if you can find it, and hang it off the stern. It should attract something.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 667 Officer
    Get a frozen chumbag or two, as well as a couple dozen live shrimp. If weather and seas permit, head out to Port Manatee reef. There's a lot of Spanish Macks around, and should be Mangos, Grunts and Sheepshead on the bottom. Bottom fishing is a sure bet to catch "something", and I'd bet Grandpa could chum up and catch a BIG GROUPER or two for the kids.
    Also, never leave home without some DO A shrimp and a Cajun Thunder style popping cork. Trout were out by Joe's top and bottom.
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 568 Officer
    Thanks Capt Pants where were the trout at Joes inside or outside?
  • Secret SpotSecret Spot Posts: 104 Deckhand
    I second the chum block with the Macks around pretty thick already.

The power plant is holding bonnet heads and black tips on the shallow flat north side, they eat shrimp very well. I like @ least 4" shrimp with the tail pinched off for the sharks. lots of pompano also on the drops, there have been a ton of big cobia at the plant this past winter.

The Bahia Reef is holding sheephead and snapper as well as the other usual suspects an the mackeral have started to show pretty good.

Just south of the LM marker (Little Manatee River) work the 6' line over the deep grass there are specked and silver trout, mackeral, bluefish, jacks, ladyfish. Macks and silvers will be more on the 8' mark. should be plenty of other boats in the area to point you in the right direction.

The above is based on current catches. There should be trout in the deep channel right in front of Simmons this time of year and sheephead on the docks and oyster bars in the area but I have not fished those places
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    I was going to suggest jumbo shrimp at the power plant...endless bonnet heads (black tips on cut bait) along with macks and the potential for cobia if you throw out a chum block.

From there you could hop up to the Kitchen or swing through the Apollo Beach residential docks.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,183 Officer
    once you find those silver trout anchor up (or repeated drifts) and fish the school, the kids will love the action. cull through them for the bigger ones, 12" or more. ... fish for those silvers with a jig (they are down near the bottom) and a plastic bait. that way you don't have to keep on rebaiting. Gulp shrimp do quite well. Sometimes they will follow the baits to the boat and just jigging up and down can drive em nuts and you can see them fighting over the lure. they have made some rather boring days fun. If the kids like to eat fish silver trout are great for a fishfry.