Home General Paddle Craft

Dania Sails 2/26/14

Put in at Dania as the sun was coming up and Rob happened to be out there too so we headed out with some gogs and jigs to see what we could get into. The water was flat as glass and I flipped my kayak getting in which was pretty awesome way to start off the day! Fortunately none of my gear broke and the gogs stayed in the bucket!

The rips were out pretty deep, almost 400 feet. I dropped down and got hooked up pretty fast. Whatever it freaked when it saw the kayak and started ripping drag (despite being almost totally dead weight the first 300 ft) and managed to escape. Never saw what it was.

After not getting any more bites and the wind starting to pick up and make it hard to jig in place, I switched back to trolling a live gog. About 10 minutes into paddling the rip way out I saw my first sail come leaping out the water. Rob made it there in time to snap a photo of the landing which went off pretty well for my first time. I handed the fish over to him so he could hobie it back to life and with fish in hand, another sail leaps into the air, fish on! This time it was Rob and this one took him for a ride.

We went 2/2 and the best part is that it was in the faces of 4 or 5 sport fishing boats that crowded around trying to get some action.

Here's rob's catch. He's got a photo of mine to post later on. Got some video when I get time I"ll put it up here! Totally psyched for my first sail today, thanks to everyone for all the help on here and out on the water!

Replies