Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Whiskey tango foxtrot

MOSMOS Posts: 64 Deckhand
Why do y'all throw away salt cats and yellowtail jack? Just curious both have proven to be exceptional eating.

Replies

• fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,378 Officer
    Depends on your taste buds I guess. To me, both of them are trash and too nasty to even consider eating. Jacks make great cutbait for catfish, then you can cut the fins off the catfish and use them for jewfish bait, then you can release the jewfish and get rid of 3 trash fish all at the same time. :grin
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    If you are talking sail cats and Jack Cravelle, but can be fixed and turn out a fine dinner. I have blackened or fried the catfish, Jack only get smoked and made into dip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 342 Deckhand
    Seems like trolling here.:wink
  • SHELLFISHSHELLFISH Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Folks around my area don't eat Sailcats either! I don't know why?
    I was fishing on the beach and got a big Sailcat and I put it off to the side.
    My buddy asks "What are you planning for that?" I told him I was going to eat it!
    He say you can't eat those. I brought it home and filet out 2" filets off each side!
    Tasted great fried! I will keep more!
  • MOSMOS Posts: 64 Deckhand
    Wow this is a nice change of pace from all the bs in hunt camp right now. My girlfriends daughter is a picky eater, mac and cheese type. She as well as the rest of us found the cats delicious. The jacks i marinated,stripped,in soy, oj, garlic,lemongrass, and brown sugar. Smoked em cold. Lightly coated in salt and pepper and dehydrated into jerky. Mighty fine i might add!
  • semperfisemperfi Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Gonna have to try them next time I catch one.. Also I wonder just how many reall know what (Whiskey tango foxtrot) stands for...:rotflmao
    Probably most who answered the post. :shrug
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    semperfi wrote: »
    Gonna have to try them next time I catch one.. Also I wonder just how many reall know what (Whiskey tango foxtrot) stands for...:rotflmao

Duh!

It means...enough good whiskey and even a fox can learn to dance.

ps - Sailcats eat well enough...but they can be wormy. :puke
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I would think you could make Jerky out of just about anything that is 'borderline' edible...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 494 Deckhand
    Whenever I get a few sail cats I found the best way to deal with them is take a low power pressure cleaner and blast all the slime off before trying to clean. Worked out real well and you could actually get a grasp on them.
  • Fly HookerFly Hooker Posts: 4,199 Captain
    semperfi wrote: »

Not as many as you think.................:wink

Military guys know.............
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    CULTURAL.

Over a half century of living in southeast Florida has inculcated that cats, jacks and mullet are trash/bait fish.

Course, . . . I was younger and dumber back then.
    :shrug

Used to marvel at the large black women with long cane poles who would frequently come to catch mullet from the empty lot next door. Bait was a mix of bread dough and cotton on a very small hook with a wine bottle cork bobber. A technique I never really mastered.

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    What's a yellowtail Jack? I know a jack crevalle, a yellow jack and a bar jack. The first two both have yellow tails. Reason I ask is that yellow jack and bar jack are delicious, especially on the grill. Jack crevalle is different...no thanks, except as said, in smoked fish dip.

Sailcats....that's a funny one. I love catfish, but never tried a sailcat. Some time ago, I decided I'd keep the next one I caught and try it. Hah!!! I haven't caught one since making that decision!
    .......Rick
    Still no problems with sailcats, if the cooler is bare and I want fish. Very nice pink meat. Fried or Blackened. They be fine. Could depend on where you catch them and what they have been eating. :shrug
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    One day you will get a bad tasting one and it will change your mind forever.
    23895.gif
  • Travis GTravis G Kentucky😢Posts: 501 Deckhand
    Intheslot wrote: »
    Seems like trolling here.:wink

BET $100 YOUR RIGHT?
  • KillowattKillowatt Posts: 30 Deckhand
    I never heard of anyone eating a sail cat, I would harvest one or two when a religious friend wanted the crucifix out of one though.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,307 Moderator
    Grady-lady wrote: »
    Duh!

It means...enough good whiskey and even a fox can learn to dance.

ps - Sailcats eat well enough...but they can be wormy. :puke

I've never run into an issue with worms in the sail kittys. I have, however, eaten them on many an occasion and find them quite tasty. It's a more versatile fish than a king, and folk spend thousands upon thousands of dollars after those critters.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    Fish Haid wrote: »
    One day you will get a bad tasting one and it will change your mind forever.

I have. I do not take them out of muddy river or coastal areas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• publichunterpublichunter Posts: 1,180 Officer
    Travis G wrote: »
    BET $100 YOUR RIGHT?

He's not. He's a friend and not from around these parts till recently and I ate some of the jack jerkey.

He texted me back around the time he posted this and told me he and a buddy had caught a bunch of big pompano. I asked how big and on what bait to which he replied 5lbs and on live mullet. I told him he had jacks and that at least he had some fertilizer for his garden. I then told him I had tried some as a kid and they were too fishy for me but that they might be ok as jerky, which he has made plenty of out of venison.

Well he gave it a shot and sure enough it was good. I don't know if I'd go through the trouble but if you're low on fish and you're in to making jerkey, jacks ain't bad for it. As far as the cats go, although I don't mind eating catfish on occasion, I'm not usually desparate enough to keep them when I usually have a cooler full of whatever else it is I'm after. I've never eaten a sail cat but knew folks who did growing up and they said they were about like a freshwater catfish. He kept a few and tried them said they tasted like a regular catfish.

MOS is a stellar cook and has made some of the finest food I've ver eaten. Some folks call snow geese sky carp and I can tell you hands down, that the snowgoose that MOS cooked was the best wild fowl I've ever eaten.

There's alot out there that will suprise you....I chit you not, one of the best fried fish I've ever had was a barracuda.