Home Tropics

Fishing at West End- week of 3/17/14

Cajun MartyniCajun Martyni Posts: 57 Deckhand
Thinking of heading over to West End from Ft. Pierce during the week of 3/17/14. What should we look for and target? Wahoo, Mahi, deep dropping? Anything else? Any suggestions re: rigging? Thanks

Replies

• nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,815 Admin
    Basic stuff:

That time of year you can catch all of the above, plus tuna, and possibly a marlin, as well.
    We usually troll artificials - a combo of Billy Baits/small jetheads, Moldcraft Wide Ranges, and cedar plugs, looking for birds/weedlines, color changes and rips, and the other usual pelagic indicators.

Specifically targeting wahoo would entail a whole different setup, with cable connected to cigar weights and Ilanders, Yozuri bonitas or other deep-running lures.

Don't forget yellowtailing and other snapper/grouper fishing, if you like that kind of action. Use your fishfinder to find 'em and then anchor in 50-100 feet on an outgoing tide (preferably with an east wind). Chum like crazy and freeline silversides on a #1 or #2 longshank hook back through the slick with a light spinning outfit. And drop a jig (or a small 'tail) to the bottom on a heavier conventional rig for grouper, muttons, etc.

That's how we do it - I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations.,
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • Flyers UpFlyers Up Posts: 655 Officer
    X2 ^ sounds about right.