This past weekend

Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,476 Admiral
Went to see if I could get a deer on the last weekend.
Didn't shoot any, but I did have some great visuals.

This flock of of 15 or so birds showed up with some deer. They all hung out near an old plot (green on the right, you can see one of the deer on it)

028-1.jpg

Kewl thing was the dominant Tom. Big fella,stayed pretty much in full strut mode for 20 minutes. He'd chase another Tom around (impressive bird itself), that Tom would chase a subordinate Jake, that Jake chased a lesser Jake. Pretty kewl. The whole time the dominant fella kept order. Then a coyote showed up, and got within 10 yards of the Tom and 2 hens, all of us were watching the coyote........he just walked away.

Naturally the Tom stayed furthest from me and behind a tree, but if you look in this pick, he's straight back, last bird on the right.

026-2.jpg

Here he is when the coyote ran off
014-1.jpg

sorry about the quality of the pics, its a 3g iphone....sux.

Sunday I switched stands to another part of the property, hoping to get a deer, but knowing EVERY night at 6 the hogs were showing up 6 am and 6p without fail.
pospigs.jpg
No deer, but at 6 oclock, I hear them in the brush. coming out. But they didn't like something, me being upwind, or the corn I put out, whatever it was. 2 would pop out of the brush then go back in, I couldn't get my sight on them with the branches in the way. 2' either direction was all I needed :banghead

Just not my weekend.

Junk happens.
Either way, May 8th is coming...maybe I can get my daughter on one of those two birds (I think both are registry, no doubt the dom bird was, the other was darn close though)
I have a much bigger and more powerful button

Replies

• flhawghuntrflhawghuntr Posts: 108 Deckhand
    Great pics love seeing strutters.
    " Better being thirty minutes early than five minutes late "
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,272 AG
    Should have busted the yote!

Cool pics and a good outing :beer
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,476 Admiral
    micci_man wrote: »
    Should have busted the yote!

Cool pics and a good outing :beer

I know, the rancher tells me to kill em all, but these birds come just about everyday...I don't want to screw a pattern up over a canine.

FLAHAWG.....yes it was an incredible display. Never seen anything like it
    You won't hurt them or make them move away with a shot every now and then. On more than one accation I have killed a bird and called more in to the same spot for others less than two hrs later or the day after. Don't let the rancher know you saw one and didn't kill it unless he just doesn't care. I have a buddy that used to have a great place to deer hunt for FREE until he told the owner about yotes he didn't shoot cause he didn't want to mess up the deer hunting.

The only rule the owner had was "Kill every yote you can and I don't care if a 150" deer is standing there, you better shoot the dog first!"

good luck on the 8th! I'm taking my youngest girl as well.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,476 Admiral
    yikes! Thats a rule for sure on that place!

Oh and thanks for the info, really wasn't aware of how they behave

Good luck to you and your girl as well!!
    Don't get me wrong, you can run them out or make them weary but it that situation and two weeks till time to hunt them I wouldn't of worried about it. Just don't tell the rancher LOL.

Thanks!