Home General Paddle Craft

New to kayak fishing in Florida

803803 Posts: 175 Officer
Been wanting to take a break from the skinny water fishing and try some near shore fishing (less than a mile) , but being new to the area don't know much about the fishing this time of year. I know this isn't the prime tarpon fishing off the beaches, but is there anything nearshore this time of year. Any advice????
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" Benjamin Franklin

Replies

• bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    Spanish mackerel off the beaches in south Florida, both coasts. You didn't indicate where in Florida you are. The best spot is peck's lake just north of Jupiter, but it's always hit or miss with finding them on any given day in any location. I like trolling a yozuri crystal minnow until I find them. They can be anywhere from 50 yards off the beach to a mile out. They like a fast retrieve, so troll as fast as you like.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    Post your location. Location is key, the state has at least 6 different off shore conditions and knowledge is mostly limited to locals. Also post in your area section. Lots of areas have kayak clubs.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • 803803 Posts: 175 Officer
    Ft lauderdale
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" Benjamin Franklin
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 813 Officer
    803 wrote: »
    Ft lauderdale

Sounds pretty local South Florida to me. Couldn't have said it any better than Bugdoc. The mackerel bite can be found nearshore, right off the beach. Even in the first mile offshore, you could still land kingfish trolling the reef edges. If you wanted to bottom fish, you may get your chance at a nice mutton snapper. I have been catching a few "shorties" lately, but they give you a nice fight on light tackle.

Luck2U!:)
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.