Home Angler On Foot

Need a little Help

troutman97troutman97 Posts: 81 Deckhand
Hey Guys, so as I am currently stuck in the frozen tundra of upstate New York and thinking of warmer climates. My grandparents have a house in Boca Raton that I visit 4-5 times a year and for the past few years I have tried to explore many of the canals, piers, and inlets from Boca to Miami trying to catch some of the saltwater species I dont get a chance to tangle with up north. I have invested a great deal of time, money, and effort into researching as much as I can without actually being down there but I figure I can only look at google earth so much. I have a notebook full of addresses off highways and residential streets of places I have found just by looking at maps but I figured I could gain some more insight from the guys that fish this stuff year round. Im going to be down there again in the middle of March and would like to make the most of the week i have down there. Im not asking anyone to give up there honey holes or top secret baits just maybe some of the more productive canals, piers, or bridge underpasses and some techniques to use specifically targeting snook and tarpon. Any info would be appreciated. Tight lines guys

Replies

• snook charmersnook charmer Posts: 337 Deckhand
    Can't help you with the area but, snook like moving water and structure to ambush prey. live bait (whitebait, pinfish or shrimp) freelined up against the mangroves, docks, downed trees. Soft plastics on a 1/4 or 1/8 ounce jig head or rigged weedless. I like to use 2 or 3ft fluorocarbon leader, usually 30lb, tied directly to my main line with a uni to uni knot and a 1/0 or so hook for the live bait. Maybe a small split shot with the shrimp to get it down a little bit. Around docks I'll go to 40lb leader. Docks with lights can be good at night.
  • troutman97troutman97 Posts: 81 Deckhand
    Thanks a lot for the info snook charmer, I have tried free lining shrimp and pin fish and have managed to catch a few. I havn't experimented much with the soft plastics but ill definitely give it a shot when im down there. Thanks again for the great info
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Mid March, if rains start - Spillways. Several in "Boca Area" - G56 is one

From Boca, you can drive North 1.5 hour and wade the East and West shore of IRL (Jensen Area)

There you are in a great area for freshwater. Hillsboro Canal, holds tarpon, snook, bass, etc etc. Not consistent ****/snook but few

Mid March aint the best time of year for surf fishing, but you can tie into a few bluefish, pompano if lucky
    Thanks a lot, great info. Definitely going to have to give Indian river a shot. I have heard good things.
  • LocomanLocoman Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    troutman97 wrote: »
    Hey Guys, so as I am currently stuck in the frozen tundra of upstate New York and thinking of warmer climates. My grandparents have a house in Boca Raton that I visit 4-5 times a year and for the past few years I have tried to explore many of the canals, piers, and inlets from Boca to Miami trying to catch some of the saltwater species I dont get a chance to tangle with up north. I have invested a great deal of time, money, and effort into researching as much as I can without actually being down there but I figure I can only look at google earth so much. I have a notebook full of addresses off highways and residential streets of places I have found just by looking at maps but I figured I could gain some more insight from the guys that fish this stuff year round. Im going to be down there again in the middle of March and would like to make the most of the week i have down there. Im not asking anyone to give up there honey holes or top secret baits just maybe some of the more productive canals, piers, or bridge underpasses and some techniques to use specifically targeting snook and tarpon. Any info would be appreciated. Tight lines guys

Where in New York are you located. I live in Jacksonville when I'm not visiting my kids in Lancaster NY. Won't be back in Jax for a couple more weeks. Been doin' time on Lake Erie ice fishing.
    I'm just outside Rochester. I go to school in Oswego. I fish steelhead just about every day. Fish from Niagara to SR. If you're ever up this way man and trying to do some float fishing shoot me a message. I think im going to be up at the Niagara this weekend.
    I'll be out no Erie trying for some more perch. Should be good steelheadin' with this rain. Creeks are gonna blow out all the ice. Can't wait to get back to Jax!!!!! Sheepshead fishin' is starting to pick up.
    Oh ya, rivers will be blown out for a few days at least. Good luck with the perch, hope you get a few pot bellys.
    Perchin' ain't gonna' happen today.....50 mph wind gusts!!!! See what tomorrow brings.
    Yeah no way, howling off the big pond all day today