The new A5

I picked up the shotgun on Feb 7 when I got back to town. Couldn't wait to get out and see how it worked. I bought a 100 pack of 2 3/4 in field loads just to smell some powder. Couldn't get 3 1/2 inch shells that day.

This thing cycles faster than I can pull the trigger. The recoil pad is built in such a way that it forces back and down so the felt recoil from the 2 3/4 loads was minimal.

Visited BPS in Atlanta last weekend and got a box of Magnum Blend 3 1/2 turkey loads ($34.99 for 5!) and box of Remington Nitro 3 1/2 turkey loads too. That box of 10 was only $19.

I'm looking forward to patterning this thing this weekend and I know it'll probably kick my **** with the 3 1/2 inch shells, but I'm really anxious to see how it handles these loads. My turkey choke should be in today or tomorrow.

Maybe a short vid after the weekend so you can laugh at me? :grin
Proverbs 13:3

Replies

• BodineBodine Posts: 2,948 Captain
    Have fun, a vid would be nice.
    For the record, some 2&3/4 copper clad #4's or sixes will work just fine--- without the pain.
    The turkey does not know the difference.
    F the feds
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,251 Admiral
    when I was young I could shoot all day and never feel recoil..............I guess the key words here are "when I was young"........

Have fun Brad!

(I guess I meant never feel any soreness from recoil)
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Lean foward a little..............
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    Which turkey coke did you go with? Love to see a Video.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,204 AG
    $35 for 5?!?!?!?

Well, You did get the gun cheap.

I agree with BO but #6 high brass lead kills them too.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 1,005 Officer
    Those Hevi Shot Magnums are the real deal. They pattern incredibly out of my Binelli and Alicia's 870 express. I shoot 3" shells though...never been to get 3.5 to pattern well with any load. I think it's the Indian flinching though and not the arrow. Good luck with it! Hope you find a combo that works really quick so you don't have to waste a bunch of money on shells.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,918 Captain
    Foo, I went with the Carlson choke. The A5 uses the invector DS choke system. It didn't arrive yesterday so I'm not sure it'll get here in time for me to try it out this weekend.

Thanks for the advice about the 3" shells. I figured since it takes a 3 1/2, I might as well try them. I will drop back after these are gone.
    This past duck season I shot a cripple with Bottomtime's gun, one shot......He didn't tell me it was a 3 1/2" shell and I had to adjust my teeth after that shot LOL. I surely wouldn't want to shoot a 3 1/2" turkey load!

Again, that's a nice gun you have there Brad :beer
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • bottomtimebottomtime Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Way back when I was teaching my wife how to shoot a shotgun, we spent a good bit of time going over the function of my 870- loading, unloading, checking the chamber, etc. We then moved on to proper mounting of the gun, butt in the pocket of the shoulder, tight cheek weld, firm grasp on the forearm..... I then threw a couple of low brass #7's in it and fired through them rapidly to giver her an idea of what the weapon would do concerning recoil. I told her up front, that a shotgun kicks, but if you mount it properly and have good form to your stance, it won't maim you. I then handed her a couple more # 7's and had her load them, then cycle them out to clear the weapon. She felt pretty comfortable with the function of it so I handed her one round to load and fire. What she didn't pay attention to was the one round I handed her was a 3 1/2" #5 turkey magnum. She shouldered the gun, had great form, and touched her off. It truly rocked her world, but she maintained control of the gun, placed it back on safe then ejected the spent round, but only after glaring at me with one of those "****" looks. I picked up the spent shell along with one of the ones I had shot and explained to her that it would NEVER get any worse than that. Surprisingly, she loaded a few more #7's and shot again, but I'm not sure she ever forgave me for that one.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,183 Captain
    I'm not experienced with modern shotguns, shot sizes and shell lengths, powder charges etc, but I'm just curious about something and all 'yall can answer it for me I'm sure.

A few years ago I had a 1756 era flintlock made for me by a good friend with the intentions of doing a little turkey hunting. The Fowler has a 51 inch barrel, 16ga, and is jug-choked 29 thousandts. With my normal powder charge and shot load, I can consistently put 18-25 holes in a turkey head kill zone target at 40-42 yards, and at this distance the #5 shot will easily go through an aluminum beer can. I'm wonderin'....how does this compare with a modern weapon using turkey loads?

Don't hunt anymore.....a career in forest and wildlife management activities is enough! Ain't dragging no more deer, bear or hogs out of the woods! Still think about turkey hunting some, but probably won't do that either!
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,014 Admiral
    It's an old argument.

Which load kills 'em deader??
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    Woods- what you described will kill one all day long and twice on Sunday's but the guys that shoot at 10" circles on paper would laugh at you. If their not getting over 200 pellets in the 10" circle at 40 yds they just aren't happy with it.
    micci_man wrote: »
    Woods- what you described will kill one all day long and twice on Sunday's but the guys that shoot at 10" circles on paper would laugh at you. If their not getting over 200 pellets in the 10" circle at 40 yds they just aren't happy with it.
    Bring them to within25 yds.
    $35 for 5?!?!?!?

You're just plain cheap so you don't get a say in this. We know you're a copper plated lead #4s guy with the cheap shotgun and a fixed full that you've been shooting for years. Let the man have his nice shells! :wink
    dewyafish wrote: »
    Bring them to within25 yds.

How about to 7 steps? That's the closest I've killed a bird with a super tight choke (Indian Creek .665 that puts 225 pellets inside 10" at 40 yards)

And now for my worthless opinion. In some ways it is a which loads kills them more dead. But, there are those days when a bird hangs up at the edge of range. You've called him all the way and he's at the fringe. You look at him, judge him, and decide he's right around 40-42 yards. You pull the trigger...

Do you want 100+ pellets inside the head kill zone (10" being the standard accepted deviation that a turkey's head could move) or do you want 20-40? Which is going to have more holes in the pattern at 40 yards? Now add to that - you've misjudged it by 8 yards. Now you're at 48-50. I didn't want to shoot him at 50 but the mistake in open fields/areas happens. You have a higher potential to wound him now and him run off and die (assuming you don't pull the shot and body shoot him completely). I just like to know that I have a few more pellets, and that these pellets in my pattern if I mess up.

And, in the grand scheme of things, the cost of 2 shells a year (3 in Florida) isn't really that bad. $7 a trigger pull for 2 or 3 birds. How many times have you went to the woods to get that bird? How many miles one way? How much fuel? How much have you spent on camo? Is $7 really that much? For more pellets that are smaller than previous (#6 or #7) that hit just as hard as larger pellets (#4 or #5) and are a great shell to use, is it not worth it to the animal that you're using a modern shell that is a little more forgiving if you don't 100% do your part?

That said, I shoot hevi-shot #6s in 3.5". I don't feel the kick and they've knocked every bird in the dirt I've pulled the trigger on that I've had it where I should (we won't talk about the others :grin). I'll continue to pay $6 (get them on sale :wink ) for those trigger pulls although I'll likely step down to a 3" load next time. It's got .25oz less shot but I don't think the bird will mind a few less (~60 pellets) H13 #6 pellets in the load.
    20-25 yds is an optimum range in my opinion.
    Far enough to let the pattern "develop", but close enough to be plenty lethal.|

That being said I shoot a Comp N Choke with 1 7/8oz 5's or 6's and have made that misjudgment in a pasture of underestimating the yardage by almost 10 yards and killed him at a shade over 50.

On the OTHER hand I missed a bird inside of 10 yards with my first shot. He came in running, kinda spooked and was walking away fast. I didn't want to spook him so he'd fly so I took the shot and completely missed.
    He took off running from my right to my left so I lead him a little and killed him grave yard dead just as he was spreading his wings with a follow up shot.

I chose not to discuss the number of gobblers that I have been fortunate enough to harvest nor the many I was unfortunate to miss, booger up, spook off, or just plain screw up.
    I call it education, and everyone knows that education is expensive.
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    I chose not to discuss the number of gobblers that I have been fortunate enough to harvest nor the many I was unfortunate to miss, booger up, spook off, or just plain screw up.
    I call it education, and everyone knows that education is expensive.

That's pretty funny there. A few years back I went on a missin rampage and told my friends I was going to apply for a grant to pay for all my licenses and gear because I was educating so many birds. You see I educate them every time....but I never learn.
    Figured out a new way to screw it up this year before the season has even started.
    omegafoo wrote: »
    You're just plain cheap so you don't get a say in this. We know you're a copper plated lead #4s guy with the cheap shotgun and a fixed full that you've been shooting for years. Let the man have his nice shells! :wink

You mean to tell me that you don't take your range finder to the turkey woods??

LOL, not only do you call me cheap but now you're calling my equipment cheap :nono I guess you are right about the gun :grin For the record, I'm of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school. It works for me and if I can't get him within my killing range, he won that round and we'll try it again another time.

Not saying everyone does it or there is anything wrong with them but I firmly believe that 3 1/2" shells have caused just as much injury/suffering to game because the thought process of "bigger is better and I can shoot farther". I have heard people actually say this...I'm not knocking anyone for what they shoot, but I will say alot of it is overkill :wink

Brad- none of what I say has anything to do with you. Just know you don't have to have the best, nicest or biggest to kill a turkey. Post up pick of the gun when you get it and give a report :beer

Signed- The cheap fella
    A 3 1/2 inch 12ga. shell has the same range as a 2 1/2 inch .410 bore if the shot size is the same and velocity is the same.

3 1/2: magnums has turned the sport of waterfowling into sky blasting Ante-Aircraft rounds at flock of ducks and hoping for the best.

They are no more powerful, but the put more shot in the air to cripple game.
    See, you know what i'm talking about.
    See, you know what i'm talking about.
    Yes, I do.
    My back-up gun is a 2 3/4'' Model 1100 with a factory Full RemChoke that patterns 1 5/8oz of 5's as well as most 3" guns at 40yds.

I shoot 1oz of 7 1/2's out of a 20 gauge 1100 for doves. People think I'm a magnificent shot because I kill doves consistantly out to 40 yards with it. It's NO different than a twelve gauge. 1200fps and 7.5's is 1200 fps and 7.5's no matter what size bore it was fired from.
    A 3 1/2 inch 12ga. shell has the same range as a 2 1/2 inch .410 bore if the shot size is the same and velocity is the same.

3 1/2: magnums has turned the sport of waterfowling into sky blasting Ante-Aircraft rounds at flock of ducks and hoping for the best.

Assuming shot size and shot material are the same, yes, there is no difference. My reference was to the difference between lead and the hevi shot Brad purchased. there is a difference there as the hevi is, well, heavier than lead. #6 hits with about the same energy as lead #4s.

And 20 is the perfect range for a shot. Makes my insides giddy just thinking about the ol' swamp chicken screaming that close!

Is season here yet?
    Um.... I just thought I'd won a nice shotgun and was getting some shells to go turkey hunting. The magnum blend was recommended by my son who does not have to purchase them. :huh It has sizes 4,5, and 6 shot.

The choke I got is .665

I was under the mistaken impression that the 3 1/2 might give a little more range.

I love the feel of the gun. It falls right into place when I bring it to my shoulder, feels good against my cheek, and balances well for me.
    Then again, this is the first shotgun I've owned other than the Belgian made A5 20 gauge my daddy was given in 1972 and the old 12 gauge double barrel that belonged to my grandfather...not safe to shoot.

As I said, the thing will cycle faster than I can pull the trigger and I'm proud to have it in my collection now.

I will post pics if/when I get out with it this weekend.
  • cc13cc13 Posts: 540 Officer
    It is a very nice shotgun! I have two A5s. One is mine and i bought the other for Matt. Congrats!!
    I was under the mistaken impression that the 3 1/2 might give a little more range.

Did they change their load for this year to 4-5-6? They used to be loaded with 5-6-7s which gives you about the same energy as 3,4,5s in lead. You're good out to 50 with that (technically further, but I just don't think that shots longer should be intentionally taken). The 3.5s just give you a higher pellet count down range

If you really want to extend your range find you someone who will load you up some TSS :grin I know this is too much for some (especially on here) but I'd shoot 1.25 - 1.5oz of TSS #9s in 2.75" at turkeys (#9s?!? Yep, #9s!). Shoot, I'd probably shoot a 1oz load of TSS 9s, if the benelli would cycle it, at ducks!

Just for comparison on the weights per pellet:
    steel ~ 7.8 g/cc
    lead ~ 11 g/cc
    hevishot ~ 12 g/cc
    hevi-13 ~ 13 g/cc
    TSS ~ 18 g/cc

IMO, the hevi is a superior shot to lead although more expensive. The TSS would be the ultimate if you hand loaded as it's the heaviest shot and the most round of them all. The hevi has a bad habit of having barbells in them and some shot smaller than #6 or #7s in the shells but I've yet to see that be a problem.
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    Um.... I just thought I'd won a nice shotgun and was getting some shells to go turkey hunting. The magnum blend was recommended by my son who does not have to purchase them. :huh.

You did & you did.
    Here's the deal. You have a darn fine new shotgun. Whatever shells that fine gun will cycle that have pellets from 4-6 in size you can kill a turkey with.
    Call a turkey within range & shoot him in the face.
  • featherfanaticfeatherfanatic Posts: 512 Officer
    ive been shooting the hevi shot 3 1/2 #7s for the past 2 years and I love them. they pattern awesome and have exceeded my expectations.. I shoot them out of a Mossberg 935 and an old Star Dot choke.. its a deadly combo
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,407 Officer

The voice of reason speaks.:signs
    After looking back, I should prefaced everything I said by: I'm not telling anyone that what they're shooting is wrong. Lead #4-6 has killed lots of birds before the invent of non-toxic heavier than lead shot. I'm merely saying that there's materials that are superior to lead and should be considered.

If you're of the mindset that lead is good enough for you, great. If newer superior shot is too expensive for you, then stick with what you're doing. But there are alternatives to lead that ARE better than lead. And, if you can understand that $6-7/shell is a VERY small portion of what you spend turkey hunting when you look at the mileage, fuel, camo, calls, etc. (I can't say gun as FF's were free). But the alternatives should be considered. As I said, if I handloaded, I'd be looking at even more alternatives with a 2 3/4" #9 load of TSS being on the top of my list.

I'm also not of the mindset that we should should extend our maximum turkey (or duck) ranges just because the shot has enabled us to do it. There's still the aspect of the chase and getting the game in close which is part of the game so I'm not endorsing that either.
    omegafoo wrote: »
    Did they change their load for this year to 4-5-6? They used to be loaded with 5-6-7. .

You're right. I was going from memory...not a good idea at my age. I just thought I knew what I was talking about. :shrug
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,251 Admiral
    I was taught a lesson about using larger shot for pheasants in my 20's and went with 5's & I think 4's from then on. Why do folks use smaller shot on a turkey which I would think is a much tougher bird than a pheasant?

And if I may ask, I have a Remington 1100 that I bought at K-mart circa 1978 ($190) sitting in a closet since 1980. Anyone know how to replace the O-rings that I have been told must be replaced before it is fired again?

Then a bit of advice gleaned from living near the "ghetto" all our lives. Load those waterfowl magnums into your self defense guns. They are devastating on two legged animals.