fishing pliers

smctroutsmctrout Posts: 36 Greenhorn
I'm looking for a reasonably-priced pair of fishing pliers. The Calcutta 7" and the Tsunami 7.5" are about $30.00. Will either of these hold mono >10lb well enough to tighten knots?

Replies

• project1project1 Posts: 347 Officer
    Goto wal-mart get the mustard ones. i just replaced mine after 3yrs i used them inshore and off shore. And their just under 20 bucks

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    I’ve had my Manley 4” for a decade with no problems or issues. In the same period I’ve replaced the jaws on my Abel 3x. Best bang for the buck in pliers. Manley’s have no problem with 10# or even 6#. mono. It has a flat jaw which is what you will need vs serrated. I routinely tie my tarpon leaders with this plier up to 100#
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • smctroutsmctrout Posts: 36 Greenhorn

I really appreciate the replies, but what I really need to know is if the pliers that you have recommended will grip mono greater than 10 lbs test well enough to properly tighten knots. My BassPro stainless pliers won't.
    You want flat jaws not serrated.
    Or grab the mono 'in line', not across the line ??? I've never seen a pair of even cheap pliers that wouldn't hold >10lb mono tight enough to tie a knot...
  • Bill@NSB[email protected] Posts: 207 Deckhand
    mtd885 wrote: »
    In the same period I’ve replaced the jaws on my Abel 3x.

Yeah, what's up with that. I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Abels a fews years back when we were all fat and happy. Nice to look at and light, but the jaws were POS's in my opinion. Killer sheath, though.

To answer the poster's question. I have a pair of Calcutta 7" pliers and they work fine holding mono>10lb.
    they feel a little big and clunky to me though.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,271 Captain
    Interesting thread. I honestly haven't carried a pair of pliers with me for the better part of a decade. I have a pair of manley knockoffs made by craftsman on the table next to my vise, and I use them to flatten barbs and that's about it. For rigging I use a tri shear, but they're no longer in business and I'm pretty sure I bought the last 2 in existance. Just a quick question for the op, what kind of connection are you using that requires you to grip the tag end of your line? I started thinking about it, and now it's driving me nuts. Anyway, cool thread. I look forward to hearing more on the subject.
    I'm the OP. In answer to Ol'DirtyCaster, the non-slip mono loop and the Duncan loop knots both require pulling the tag end of the line to set the knot. You really need a third hand. :-) My recent NC guide had an eye attached to the dash of his boat to which to hook the fly so as to have one hand to pull the standing line and the other hand to pull the tag with a pair of pliers.
    smctrout wrote: »
    I'm the OP. In answer to Ol'DirtyCaster, the non-slip mono loop and the Duncan loop knots both require pulling the tag end of the line to set the knot. You really need a third hand. :-) My recent NC guide had an eye attached to the dash of his boat to which to hook the fly so as to have one hand to pull the standing line and the other hand to pull the tag with a pair of pliers.
    Go to the hardware store and buy an “S” hook. Close one end and put a lanyard on it. Loop the lanyard around your foot and now you have that “3rd hand”.
    Has anyone tried the Dr. Slick Pisces 6.5" stainless pliers? They come with a lanyard and holster, and can be purchased on ebay for about $31.00 with free shipping.
  • FreeFlyFreeFreeFlyFree Posts: 121 Officer
    On the non slip knot, you dont really need to pull on that tag end that much...it is three turns, pass it thru the overhand knot, cinch it with your teeth and you're good to go...now if you don't have teeth, use your eye lids.

Blue skies!
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    I think an earlier reply called the pliers Mustard. They are actually Mustad KVD pliers. I found a pair on the beach just the other day and these things are really great. I did not know they were made by Mustad., they just had the KVD initials on them and I am not sure if the initials stood for Kevin Vandam or not. I just googled KVD pliers to find out and learned they were made by Mustad.

For the non slip loop knot, I use my pliers to grab the tag end of the leader with the pliers. I hook the fly over the edge of my striping basket and hold the the leader tight and a quick tug on the tag end up and away from the fly and it's done, after it is tight I keep the leader tight and trim the tag end with the cutters on the pliers.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Ol' Dirty....I'll give a tug on the tag end of heavier mono leader knots, especially a clinch knot. Yes, I still use a clinch knot and a lot at that. For the lighter stuff, like knots to bonefish/permit flies with no shock, I (heh-heh) still use my teeth. Old habits die hard.

I think mostly though, you'll find that people with these issues are the older crowd, probably still with a little Yankee blood in them. I know I tie knots to have the shortest possible tag ends, just in order to save leader material. We reason that if we do this 10, 20, 50, 100 times, we'll end up with 1-2 "free" leaders at the end of the spool. Sounds stupid, I know.....and I have been trying to break myself of this for almost 20 years now. But with short tag ends, you need something to grip them with.

Back to topic, I still have my BPS knockoffs of the Browning pliers. They are now 8 years old and look almost new. Only thing is that the way the ends of the handles curve, they look like they were designed for left handed fishermen. Drives me nuts to seemingly use them backwards. That said, they do not get much of a workout with the light lines that I am using these days. I kinda wish they would make a smaller version for light tackle and flats guys. I did not know that Manley was still making pliers. I am still partial to the shape of the old Sargent > Manleys from 30-40 years ago. Problem is that now they come individually packaged and you have to be lucky to get a good pair. "Good pair" means that the cutting edges meet just before the jaws close completely. This means that they will cut the lighter monos. Back in the old days, they came loose in a box of 12. We could pick through them and grab the good pairs.
    .......Rick
    I'm the OP. Got a pair of P-Line Calypso 7.5" stainless steel pliers for Christmas. They cost less than $20.00 from fishingtackleoutlet.com. (BTW, fishingtackleoutlet.com has a $20.00 minimum order.) The pliers, polycoil lanyard, and holster weigh 11 oz. They hold mono well when tightening knots, which my cheap BassPro pliers wouldn't do. They have a tungsten carbide cutter which cuts mono fine. Haven't tried them on wire leader material yet. I only get to fish in saltwater one week a year, so these pliers will hopefully work fine for me. Can't justify a pair of Van Staal pliers for 1 week of fishing each year.
  • bhmeesebhmeese Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/P-LINE-ADARO-ALUMINUM-PLIERS-BLUE-NEW-PLINE-/350974426924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b7b4bf2c

These really can't be beat. I've had a pair for 2 years and the cutters still slice through braid like warm butter.
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,124 Officer
    I've had the P-Lines for several years and they are great, I use them every single weekend in saltwater and plenty during the week too...I recently got a pair of Hansom Tackle, pliers for Christmas, they close all the way down and will grip paper tightly, no slip. The only problem was they were 6" and too small for my hands. They make a pair of 8", but the cutter is inside the jaws and I don't care for that. When I returned them to my local fly shop, I wanted a larger pair but they didn't have any in the case....I was going to have to go elsewhere until one of the guys grabbed a pair from the back room...Ross Pescador's 7.5", these are what I use now and I simply love them! I think they're 179, but considering the use they will see, I plan on having them for a decade or two as my P-Lines are 5 now and they still work okay.

Anyone else looking for pliers under Van-Stalls price point and inline with less expensive Donmar's, check them out. I like them a lot so far!

http://www.rossreels.com/accessories/pescador-pliers.html
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • river1river1 Posts: 86 Deckhand
    check out Dr. Slick great plier for the money..
    Captain Bill Boynton

Support Catch and Release
    river1 wrote: »
    check out Dr. Slick great plier for the money..

I looked at photos of a bunch of stainless pliers such as the P-Line that I got, the Dr. Slick, and a few others. They all look about the same. The only difference appears to be where the tungsten carbide cutters are located. Some are inside the jaws, and some are outside. They are all stainless, and all have rubber or some similar material on the handles. The Dr. Slicks were more than twice as expensive as the P-Lines. Since I will only use them for a week or two per year, I doubt that I will ever need another pair. Want, that's another thing.