2/9 Amberjack Jigging

Another amberjack jigging trip. Ran out to 115', water was 59degrees and my bottom machine was lit up. couldn't keep the jigs away from the fish. Was like glass out there today. Mostly barely short or barely legal fish caught. Got one around 50#. Besides the amberjack fishing bottom fishing was pretty slow. Got 2 triggers 1 white snapper. Had trouble trying to get them to bite. After we landed the big Aj bite completely shut off. moved around for a few hours with only the trigger and white snapper to show. Could've moved around to a few more spots to try and catch the rest of our Aj limit but out backs were already hurting and the big one was more than enough so decided to call it a early day. Only picture worth taking the camera out for was the Aj so that was the only picture taken all day.
Got outfished by the little bro today. Amberjack hit a braid jig (i believe it was a slim swim jig) and he was using a torsa 16n/trevala
IMG_6132.jpg
8aa18353-93c1-47d9-a69d-05a47ee5322c.jpg

Replies

• LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,167 Officer
    Man that's a nice amberjack!! They are one of my favorites to catch............such hard fighters. Sounds like y'all had a pretty nice day out there. Thanks for sharing the post. For those of us living further north where it's still real cold, it sure is nice to live vicariously through others fishing adventures.

Livin' the Dream !
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    good job bro! yeah, we did the back hurt yesterday also. flat glass and we went a little further than you guys. Ran about 30 miles out and g our limit of AJ's will get pics soon and post a report. But, there were some freight trains we just could not stop... must have been some very large fish on this #. lost about 7 vertical jigs even using heavy tackle and 100 lb leader. Everyone is sore today!
    :fishing:grin
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Nice. I should have went offshore. I decided to fart around in west bay. It was a bust. The warmer weather had the fish scattered out and we never really found them.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • 85okhai85okhai Posts: 246 Officer
    crcattypc wrote: »
    good job bro! yeah, we did the back hurt yesterday also. flat glass and we went a little further than you guys. Ran about 30 miles out and g our limit of AJ's will get pics soon and post a report. But, there were some freight trains we just could not stop... must have been some very large fish on this #. lost about 7 vertical jigs even using heavy tackle and 100 lb leader. Everyone is sore today!
    looking forward to the pics. 7 jigs?? ouch. didn't lose many jigs at all but have had days where i have lost easily over $100 in jigs. ended up only losing that braid jig he caught the aj on later in the day and i lost 2 cobia jigs bouncing off the bottom. now i only spend about $10 max on jigs and put my own terminal tackle on them. sometimes theres just those you can't stop. i lost 2 freight trains bouncing cobia jigs off the bottom and i was using a 350g OTI and he whooped me
    Red Fish wrote: »
    Nice. I should have went offshore. I decided to fart around in west bay. It was a bust. The warmer weather had the fish scattered out and we never really found them.
    yea i went inshore fishing friday with my buddy and didn't have much luck either. first we ran the beach looking for reds and saw a couple of schools of 3 or 4 but couldnt get them to eat so we then ran to the steam plant and didnt have much luck there either
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    85okhai wrote: »
    yea i went inshore fishing friday with my buddy and didn't have much luck either. first we ran the beach looking for reds and saw a couple of schools of 3 or 4 but couldnt get them to eat so we then ran to the steam plant and didnt have much luck there either

How deep were the reds?

I have been strolling the beach down in Walton/Bay area once or twice in the evenings and have seen nothing. Heck, I quit seeing whiting about 3 weeks ago.

Y'all put it at Dolphin Bay? We use to keep a boat down there and that boat/y'all look very familiar.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Red Fish wrote: »
    How deep were the reds?

I have been strolling the beach down in Walton/Bay area once or twice in the evenings and have seen nothing. Heck, I quit seeing whiting about 3 weeks ago.

Y'all put it at Dolphin Bay? We use to keep a boat down there and that boat/y'all look very familiar.
    All the fish we saw were on the first sandbar. I keep my boat on a. Trailer in dolphin bay so you probably have seen us before but we usually launch at the st park because I don't like the ramp on dolphin bay
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    Yeah, Howell had a very good sale and still does on vertical jigs for like $6 a piece... doesn't hurt so bad when you lose them
    :fishing:grin
    Yeah, Howell had a very good sale and still does on vertical jigs for like $6 a piece... doesn't hurt so bad when you lose them

I'll have to go and check that out
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,145 Admiral
    Congrats to lil bro!

Dang it looked calm out.

I bought some of theses and yet to try them.

http://www.anteaterjigs.com/products.php
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,145 Admiral

COOL need to swing by there!
    Split Shot wrote: »
    Congrats to lil bro!

Dang it looked calm out.

I bought some of theses and yet to try them.
    http://www.anteaterjigs.com/products.php

haven't tried the anteater jigs yet, but have ordered from victory lures and his jigs were really nice. he puts pretty good terminal tackle on his jigs and he also gives THT discounts if you're a member.