More sunday AJ funday

With my spring fever kicking strong and another good forecast for Sunday, we made the journey again for more back breaking fun. The seas were slightly bumpy on the way out, but not bad. It laid down as forecast and was another awesome day. Today is looking even better and much warmer! Hooray Spring time! Shouldn't be long before the sheepies are stacking in the pass and the cobes are running the shore.

So back to yesterday, we get to our spot and the screen is lit up just like last weekend. Spent about 1 hour working the AJ train. Once again, there were a few we just could not stop. I think there could be some Giant Groupers on this # b/c we had no chance to stop the first few bites. But we got out limit and everyone was sore so it was a success.
First the guys got into the action and I was kind of helping along
2-16-14petewaj_zps81c05264.jpg
2-16jimwaj_zpsff3e29df.jpg

Then I had to get one myself
2-16-14mefightingAJ_zps93e0e6a4.jpg
2-16mewAJ_zps6d0b9868.jpg

Cant wait until the life comes back to the bay and nearshore #'s I think I might be done fishing AJ's for a while :)
:fishing:grin

Replies

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,038 Moderator
    Y'all fishing same gear again? I'd like to see what it is that's destroying you guys. I'm thinking hundred lb mono with hammered down drag and a rod holder with boat in gear would take care of most any jack.

The ones you are putting in the boat... Are they all roughly the same size? If so, your mystery fish could in fact be something other than jack. Maybe try fishing off the spot a little ways too. Those jacks will take a bait way off your wreck.

Got annual engine maintenance done yesterday. "new" raw water pump leaking, though. A real pain to change out, but that needs to be done AGAIN. Would like to find somebody in town to rebuild the two I've got. The current leaky one will make an acceptable get-home pump, but I don't want it as primary.

Anyway... A couple more Saturdays and I'll be ready to fish!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • BigTimeBigTime Posts: 611 Officer
    Awesome day guys

• LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,190 Officer
    Looks like y'all had a really nice day. Those are some nice AJ's.........man, I love catching them. They put up such a hard fight. What were you catching them on (bait wise)? I'd hate to see what it was y'all couldn't get up.........must be huge! (Actually, I'd love to see it!!!)

Livin' the Dream !
    I think they were dropping jigs... at least that's what they were doing last weekend.
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Glad someone is getting out after them. I plan on doing some floundering this coming weekend.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    yes... vertical jigs... and I do think there may be a goliath on this spot... or a few much bigger jacks. It is odd as usually when we fish a Jack spot, they all seem to be the same size. This spot has all sizes. Even a few small ones. There also could have been a big shark. We saw one following a jack up a few times. Couldn't tell if he had jigs in his mouth
    :fishing:grin
    think a shark would take you into structure. Was line shark skinned up? I imagine if he had jig in his mouth you'd probably fight him a while... Hence chafed up line from tail / side / nose, etc.

I'm ready to bring some big tackle to this spot.

You hooking mystery fish on the jigs... Near bottom or up in water. You said some little jacks... Is it possibly you're hooking little fish and Jewish is then coming after it?
  • 85okhai85okhai Posts: 246 Officer
    should try dropping one of those small jacks mid way down with some heavier tackle and try and see if anything will inhale him :grin
    8aa18353-93c1-47d9-a69d-05a47ee5322c.jpg
    I wish my boat was running!!!! GRRRR....

Just ordered a water pump from California. $750 bones. Won't be here till next week.

Yard wants the boat two weeks from now for bottom job and I need to do a few items below water line. Hope to have everything else (new varnish on bright work, new carpet in cabin and down below, diagnosing / fixing a leaking window, instal new inverter, painting cockpit, re-installing water pump, and some other small items) taken care of by the time they splash the boat. REALLY hoping the weather cooperates and they can take care of bottom job during work week.