Home General Fishing

Easy Chum: Wood Chipper Chum VIDEO

Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 671 Officer
Hello Fellow Fisherman,

In the past I had read many post about certain grinders, chum makers, attachments and ways to make chum. I'm not sure if it was on this forum or another but I had read someone mention a wood chipper. I bit the bullet and decided to give it a try. Purchased a light wood chipper from Harbor Freight using the 25% coupon. The reason that I am posting this is because I can honestly say this has been the easiest way to make perfect chum and know many of you have looked at old bait or filleted fish and can see chum in it, but don't bother bc its to much of a hassle.

I decided to share with you all my experience with it.

So far 6 months of using the chipper and its still working flawlessly. however I always hose down the chipper and spray the metal parts with WD-40 or another type of spray lubricator.I also bought the one year added protection since it will be taking a beating.

So Far I have made over 100lbs of chum, Have grounded down too many pinfish, grunts, pilchards etc. The biggest fish I have been able to shred whole have been 15" Speedo's and rainbowrunners. As far as filleted fish, yellowtail are a breeze, but the heads on most mangroves over 14" wont fit down the shoot. Also Skin of fish unless the fish is whole does not shred well, yet on the bigger fish the back bone and tail of the filleted fish are perfect.

Grinding down old baits are perfect for chum and catching hound fish and needle fish will be a breeze for the chipper, haven't done those yet but can tell since i've passed many ballyhoo down the shoot.

Here's the video hope someone appreciates it.

[video=youtube_share;N6SKkFMhV-o]

Replies