Anybody go to the Saltwater Sportsman Seminar last year?

I saw in the paper today an article about the Saltwater Sportsman Seminar coming to Islamorada in February. Did anybody go last year, was it worth the day? I mainly fish shallow water with some nearshore when calm and wonder if I'll get something out of this. Thanks for your input.

Replies

• sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    My wife & I went a couple three years ago. Lots of good info but not the type of seminars we were looking for. Yes you will "get something out of this" but not sure how much nearshore & shallow water topics will be there.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,127 AG
    I have been to 5 of them over the years and have always come away with a bag of goodies as well as plenty of notes. The subjects and guests instructors are all local guides/Capts so you get local knowledge.

They will cover everythig from offshore to back country..... usually with 55 minute 'classes'. You also have a chance to win some door prizes. I have been lucky to have won a $220 Penn spinner as well as a $150 Penn jigging rod!

George Poveromo always swaps locations for the 'South Florida' seminar and next year it most likely will be up in Jupiter and then in 2016 it will probably be back down here........ so keep that in mind.
  • edczachor36edczachor36 Posts: 219 Officer
    Thanks guys, I think I'll give it a try and signup.
    Thanks guys, I think I'll give it a try and signup.

Keep in mind that your goody bag will have a $25 book by Poveromo, some boat wash soap, some lures and all sorts of other things and some of that will help offset the price. They will have stuff for sale out in the lobby as well as small, manufacturer's display booths where you can talk to the Reps about their products. Poveromo also will have all of his informative videos for sale there..... no doubt one or two that will focus on the type of fishing that you like.

Take a note pad and sit near the front!
  • MonomoyMonomoy Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Went last year for first time in New England and found it very informative! Well worth it!
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,728 Captain
    I've rarely missed one and always learn something I can use. The $55 is nearly offset by the free stuff you're given when you walk in the door.
  • SaltwaterSportswomanSaltwaterSportswoman Posts: 43 Deckhand
    I have been the past 2 years and have the opportunity to speak this year in Islamorada. It is a full day of information, very informative and always a great lunch break to mingle around and talk with others.
    Capt. Brittney Novalsky
    Florida Sportswoman
    "Advancing the sport of women in the fishing industry through education to become better anglers and conservationists."
    www.floridasportswoman.com
    Personal Blog: www.facebook.com/fishingadventureswithbrittney
    Thanks again folks, they should have my ticket in the mail. Looking forward to it.
  • turtle boyturtle boy Posts: 77 Deckhand
    2nite I won 2 tickets to this event by answering a simple quiz question by phone on the Thurs. nite FM radio show, "This Week in Fishing", on US1 Radio Big Pine Key. I know it will involve Poveromo, Feb. 8 At Coral Shores High School on Plantation Key.
  • ShallowSaltShallowSalt Posts: 195 Officer
    turtle boy wrote: »
    2nite I won 2 tickets to this event by answering a simple quiz question by phone on the Thurs. nite FM radio show, "This Week in Fishing", on US1 Radio Big Pine Key. I know it will involve Poveromo, Feb. 8 At Coral Shores High School on Plantation Key.
    I was calling before the question was over, but I could already hear someone on the phone in the background of the radio. You guys were quick on those questions, not that they were hard at all.
    This will be my first Sportsman seminar; I will post my thoughts about it shortly after.
    Just got back from the seminar and it was outstanding. The local faculty did a GREAT job giving very detailed information. Can't wait to try a few new "tricks" that I learned.
    I enjoyed the seminar and even though I'm a shallow water angler, I sat through the whole thing. They gave you a decent goody bucket, I renewed my CCA membership and listened to alot of info that was truly crossover material. I was impressed with the local guides and realized just how passionate and knowledgeable these people are about fishing. Coach Jimmy Johnson was even there and had some funny comments, but was pretty candid about how and what he fishes and why. If I had any thing they could improve on was the need to put the vendors outside in a tent to relieve the bottleneck getting in and out of the auditorium. I would have spent more time visiting the vendors but it was just too tight. Now if I could just read the notes I took...
    Just got back from the seminar and it was outstanding. The local faculty did a GREAT job giving very detailed information. Can't wait to try a few new "tricks" that I learned.

You got your normal F-o-L special seats I hope!
    Gary M wrote: »
    You got your normal F-o-L special seats I hope!

Right in the Bob Uecker seats. ;-)
    My free tickets turned out to be worth $55 each. Upon entering, you were able to get a free Costa mono snugger ( worth $9); at another table, a plastic tape measure with retractable tape (value not listed). Upon entering, you were presented with a 3 gal plastic bucket w a copy of GP's Strategy booklet, small spray bottle Corrosion Block, Orpine Wash & Wax boat bottle good for 48 gal, Starbrite full size spray bottle of Boat Guard speed detailer & protectant. Each of 7 presentations were 45 min long. Doors opened at 8, intro at 9. Lunch noon to 1pm.
    Mostly an offshore venue; most speakers were novice speakers, IMO. I'm not doubting their fishing knowledge, but there was not much to be learned for me on backcountry. One of the heavyweights was Randy Towe. I remember him from 20+ yr ago with his boat in front of me on Buchannan Bank (a flyfishing only spot), but he shared little backcountry knowledge. I'm sure everyone did their best, but.... Being mostly a flats guy, the swordfish segment didn't much interest me, but the deep drop segment was more interesting.
    Anyway, on to the rest.... In between 45 min segments, they gave away door prizes to 5 people each time- sometimes a handful of fishing lures, but a few times a Penn reel & Costa del Mar 580 sunglasses. There was also a nice offshore umbrella teaser & a bonefish trip to Bimini.
    Was this worth $55? To me, it was. I will probably go again, & buy a ticket next year. Hopefully, each captain will review his segment & see where it could be improved.
    P.S. I won Costa del Mar Fantail model sunglasses with their 580 lenses, a $179 value as one of the many door prizes given away.
    I don't type well, it has taken me a long time to post this, & I am very appreciative of my good fortune.
    Good to hear you enjoyed it and, as I guy that has attended more than a dozen of these and never won a prize.....I hate you. ;-)
    as a guy that has attended more than a dozen of these and never won a prize.....I hate you. ;-)

Did you get tired of watching my backside standing at the stage when I won really nice prizes during two of the Seminars? I won a $220 Penn spinner and a $150 Penn rod! And now I hear that I missed out on a nice, 3-gallon bucket? :banghead

Even at $55 a ticket, the goody-bucket has more than that amount of free stuff so it's a really good deal.
    Ok, so we all got a little of something at the seminar, some more than others.... ok, I did hate you a little...:machinegun
    One thing that was talked about during backcountry fishing and a few others was tides. I would like to know if there is a fairly accurate way to calculate tides throughout Florida Bay. There are few if any sources for tides over there and it drives me batty. These guides have to have a way to know how much to add or subtract from known tide points. I know wind and moon phases will also come into play. So let's say your north (sorta) of Snake Creek where we could get a tide time. How or what would you use to calculate the aprox tide point at say Black Betsy?