Home Angler On Foot

Fort Myers shore wading

Grey BeardGrey Beard Posts: 102 Deckhand
Just arrived from the frozen north of WI. Last year I waded the weeds/sand flats of Indian River around Stuart. I had some decent days for trout and occasionally other species mostly on jig/plastic, suspending twitch Mirro lures and shrimp under a noisy Cajun cork. Would love to find similar areas around Ft Myers. Any suggestions as to location this time of year and what presentations are best would be appreciated. I don't need big fish just like to get bit and enjoy the day.

Thanks,

Grey Beard

Replies

• Captain RossCaptain Ross Posts: 289 Officer
    The "Toll Booth" flat on the west side of summerlin road just before the Sanibel Causeway is worth wading at low tide. Expect trout, ladyfish, mackerel. Posssssibly a redfish. You can wade out 85-100 yards on low tide. Use small soft plastics or topwaters.
  • Grey BeardGrey Beard Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Thanks much for the prompt response. I am not familiar with this area so wondering the best place for SUV parking for access to the fishing.? I'm excited!
  • pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    Grey Beard wrote: »
    Thanks much for the prompt response. I am not familiar with this area so wondering the best place for SUV parking for access to the fishing.? I'm excited!

You'll see plenty of parking spots along the roadside to pull off and start wading....

You can also fish various spots along the wildlife drive at Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island. Also a good spot is the pass between Sanibel and Captiva Islands.
  • dcrdcr Posts: 365 Deckhand
    I haven't done it myself, but I've seen plenty of guys wading on both sides of the causeway to Sanibel. 'Course ya gotta pay the 6 bucks first because it's past the toll booth. Plenty of free parking. Parking is $2/hr at Blind Pass. Ding is $5, free if you have the Natl Park Pass, but closed on Fridays.
  • pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    If you end up fishing on Sanibel be sure to stop at the Island Cow for lunch....try the crunchy fish/shrimp tacos or my favorite the catfish reuben!!!!
  • no hoo for youno hoo for you Posts: 105 Deckhand
    I fish Sanibel 4-5 times a year from the beach. Mostly casting Red/White 1/2 OZ. buck-tails jigs tipped with White twister tail. We Kill the snook and pick u an occasional redfish. We also catch nice blacktip sharks with finger mullet on the bottom.
  • Grey BeardGrey Beard Posts: 102 Deckhand
    As per Capt Ross I tried toll booth flat yesterday and today along with 3 to 5 other anglers. Yesterday one small trout, 2 small jacks and 10 Lady Fish primarily on 1/8oz chart Tsunami jig and Mirro Lil Jon. Surprised to see 4 guys with fly rods and they were doing about the same as me. 2 guys with live shrimp must have caught 20+ small sharks, hammerheads mostly and one legal trout. Today 1 mack, 1 sm trout, 5 sm jacks and 8 Ladys that stayed hooked up. Fly guy next to me maybe not quite as many fish but one legal pomp and trout.

Per guys who have fished this spot in past yrs said this winter has been very spotty fishing. Prob due to cold water and dirty water. Dolphins didn't seem to mind as we were literally surrounded often for the first 1.5hr of the day. They were blowing small fish out of the water and not sure what they were, pilchers? Surprised we got bit at all with all the dolphin. 0845 the switch flipped and one bite in next 45 min so called it a day. Hope that the recent warm weather will help.
  • Captain RossCaptain Ross Posts: 289 Officer
    Sounds like it's about par with expectations. If you land a few legal trout along with the other fish. Consider it a decent day at that location.