Good book for first time decorative wrap guy...

I've built a couple fly rods, and a few offshore rods, but I've never done antyhing than just plane wraps. With as little fishing as we do now thanks to insane regulations, I was thinking about trying to build a few with a little more flash to them.

Was thinking a book would be nice as opposed to just doing internet search.

Thanks
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,326 Captain
    Custom Rod Thread Art by Dale Clemens is pretty great. There are several others, but that's the one I learned from.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,038 Moderator
    Gotcha. I read up a lot online yesterday and was starting to feel pretty stupid because I simply was not getting it. Too many words, terms, diagrams, theory, mention of various intricacies, etc. All made sense on their own, but I was having a real hard time bringing it all together. Weave I understand, but the wraps were really throwing me.

God bless YouTube! Watched a few videos and finally understand some of the nuts and bolts. Looks to me like it's pretty easy to do some simple stuff that will look good, and from there your imagination and ability is the limit.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,326 Captain
    Marking a blank and laying down thread is pretty easy, packing threads takes alot of patience and practice. Try to prepare yourself mentally, I botched 4 wraps before I finally managed to close one (and then I gave it to my cousin, he broke it 3 months later).
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,038 Moderator
    I've learned a lot since the initial post.

Also talked to the guy who's built a few for me. He and I are going to do the next one together. Not sure when I'll try one on my own... it won't be any time soon due to lack of time, but I'll give it a shot at some point. Probably late summer.