How much further?

I confident someone else as all ready done this and it's darn cold outside right now so it is far easier to ask you folks.
How much further does a 7 1/2 ft rod cast than a 6 1/2 ft. Yes, all other factors ( line, reel, lure weight) are equal. Is there a rule of thumb? Each inch =? feet ?

Replies

• Gmanwi53Gmanwi53 Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Really ---45 people have looked at this and nobody has an idea? How about you ODC?
  • TedPTedP Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    I've never heard a rule of thumb. I don't think you can even say that a longer rod will cast further. A rod will have its ideal lure weight, for instance. Over or under and you might not get the best cast. Even two blanks of the same length, taper, etc will cast slightly differently.

When I build a rod, I'll move the guides around and try several lure weighs to test cast and get the optimal cast.
  • gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    I don't know any rule of thumb. In a simple example take a rod with no flex that is six feet long and rotate it at "x" rotational speed trough a 90 degree arc. Then do the same for a seven foot rod. The tip of the seven foot rod is travelling faster than the six foot (it has to move through the same arc in an equal time). So your difference is the launching of a lure at the higher speed - you do the math.

But since rods do flex, I would say that rod action can make about as much difference as length. That's what I tell my wife, anyway.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,450 Captain
    Me, I've always been glad that a craftsman is measured by the work he or she does - not the tools they bring to the job....

Seriously instead of wondering whether a longer rod will allow you to cast farther.. the first items I'd want to look at is the size reel, the size line (lighter line definitely allows you to cast farther....), and the actual size of the lure or bait you intend to use... Next I'd give a lot of thought to what you actually want a specific rod to do. Many of the rods I've built over the years were built to perform a specific task (a seven foot, light rod for tossing a single un-weighted live shrimp at a bonefish using six to ten pound line is one example).

Once you're comfortable building your own gear each rod will either do what it was supposed to do -or it won't (that's the way I learned and I've been building rods for many, many years).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Gmanwi53Gmanwi53 Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    To Gerry ---if I hadn't gotten a D in algebra (twice) I could use that information:signs. To Bob L --basically Bob I have all the 6' and 6 1/2's I need (think of a womans shoe closet and you will have an idea). For fishing the flats for reds and trout I have been building SC IV and V's 7 1/2s (M/L and Med) for myself and those that I fish with. I feel like they cast farther but I haven't been able to step out of the boat to pace it off to be sure. I just thought that someone else had already figured out how much further they cast. My best guess some where between 5 and 10 yards. Again, same reel, line, action, lure/bait.