whuddayu do w/ these?

2»

Replies

• Gary MGary M Posts: 13,127 AG
    BD27 wrote: »
    I'll try to soak them in salt water as suggested. Fresh water does not touch my fish. Thanks for the tip

I've posted here that I try to bring a bucket of fresh sea water back to the dock with me to plop the fillets into when I'm cleaning them. Others have pointed out to not use any water to clean/rinse them off........

I pan seared 2 yellowtail fillets ast night and lightly sprinkled some very fine flour on them and that was it. No spices, no salt..... nada. The crowd seemed to love it and will enjoy the rest tonight on a green salad...... as she did last night.
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 703 Officer
    I always tell people to try whatever other say is not good.
    AJ is great om the grill and blackened.
    I am a very fussy fish eater.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Paragon1Paragon1 Posts: 509 Officer
    BD27 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong . I love smaller legal Cobia. The big ones have a stronger taste to me. And I am very paticular to remove all the red meat , and keep them very cold. Do I need to soak them in something ? I am open to sugestions

Best move is to chill-kill them, add saltwater to the icebox, makes it on average about 10 degrees colder than just using ice, and you get a more complete chill on the fish by fully submerging it. In fact, i find that fish like mahi even keep thier color longer when you do it this way.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,127 AG
    Paragon1 wrote: »
    Best move is to chill-kill them, add saltwater to the icebox, makes it on average about 10 degrees colder than just using ice, and you get a more complete chill on the fish by fully submerging it.

Our own Intrepid377 does that on his boat. Starts with LOTS of ice and then when the fish start coming in, saltwater is added to make a slurry. This also makes them easier to clean.
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    I also do the same thing, keeps em looking good for photos at the end of the day instead of running for a camera or phone..they cost a few bucks id they go overboard..

These where in a slurry for about 12 hours on a Pulley Ridge trip, then tossed into the regular fish box and still looked good when I brought them home.
    Capt Bill
2»