Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

10,000 Islands spring & summertime tactics...

Was hoping to get some info on spring and summertime fishing in the back country and mangroves of Marco and the 10,000 islands. I've only been down here since October so I haven't fished in the spring before. I was curious if the same tactics I used in the fall would also apply in spring. Live shrimp was the best bet for me for big snook and reds, as the water warms is shrimp still the best bet for snook and reds? And when do the tarpon start to show? Any info on tactics, live baits or artificials that work best would be appreciated. Tight lines.

Replies

• gmc2500gmc2500 Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Late fall into winter its hard to beat live shrimp, everything loves shrimp! I would have to say my favorite bait for late spring into summer is a 3-4 inch pilchard or finger mullet if you can find them! Snook, reds, trout love chasing them when the water warms up, a consistant 75 degree water temp seems to kick things in gear with frisky live baits! Free lined, under a popping cork or with a small split shot all have produced well for me. I love throwing soft plastic paddle tail swim baits or topwater early or late in the day! Tarpon start to show, depending when the cold fronts start to slow, usually late march into april for the big schooling fish offshore and in major passes! Also residential fish here year round that love when the rains start to pour down that are usually found further up the rivers in the more brackish water, these fish are typically not as large but still fun! Hope this helps!!
  • FLTXhunterFLTXhunter Posts: 516 Officer
    Oh man, October is a great time of year, but you simply cant beat Sprig and summer. Inshore= tarpon, snook, reds, sharks. Offshore= snapper, grouper, and the occasional cobia and smoker king. Are you staying on Marco and do you have access to a boat or shorebound? Best bait, methods and probable targets will help me answer a bit more.
  • T RawT Raw Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    I do mostly inshore kayak fishing in the mangroves but I do have access to a boat as well...looking forward to hearing back from you. And gmc thanks for the info, it does help.