Home General Fishing

Okuma Makaira 80?

santafrosantafro Posts: 18 Greenhorn
Hi,
I am going to buy an 80w for shark fishing, and trolling. i was between the international and the tiagra, after some research i came to a conclusion that the tiagra was the best choice. Last night i was watching wicked tuna and i saw Marciano using the Okuma Makaira 80w and i went on the web to take a look at it. Turns out i can t find or hear anything wrong about it. over 100lbs of drag, 5 YEAR WARRANTY!!!, Tiburon drag system... And it is a little cheaper than the tiagra. It just seems that the reel is too good to be true. I know that okuma was not good couple years ago, but i saw that they bought some new factories and hired new guys for the offshore gear, and apparently they v done an amazing job. The reel is cheap now but supposed to get more expensive as soon as people start buying it more and more.

Replies

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,344 Moderator
    I own a pair of 15s and a 30 (which is about like most folks 50) and so far they've been good. The 15s have been through 2 seasons and the 30 has only done half a season. It's used almost exclusivley for 14 knot trolling in / out to spots. Will also make a great stand up reel for big YFT chuking / live bait, or most big game trolling.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I read a lot of reel stuff on a lot of forums & I've never read anything bad about them. I fished 1 briefly & it was very tight, smooth, solid & well built & I'd highly recommend them.
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!